Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 x 10 Field Camera with the largest amount of front "fall"?

8 x 10 Field Camera with the largest amount of front "fall"?

Strange question I know but am just wondering what 8 x 10 field camera has the largest amount of front "fall"?

I assume that this is purely a physical constraint, given how far the lens board can drop (from being centred with the middle of the rear Ground Glass) to where it generally hits the knob on the bottom of the front standard (that generally locks/unlocks the swing movement)?

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: 8 x 10 Field Camera with the largest amount of front "fall"?

Not an answer, but additional question: does the entire amount of vertically downward displacement need to be accomplished by the front only...or would an additional amount of rear rise also be acceptable? (If so, you might reframe your question).

3 tilts

Front, rear and angle of rail
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Not an answer, but additional question: does the entire amount of vertically downward displacement need to be accomplished by the front only...or would an additional amount of rear rise also be acceptable? (If so, you might reframe your question).
    Thanks for the response, much appreciated! Yes, an additional amount of rear rise would also be acceptable..

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    3 tilts

Front, rear and angle of rail
    Sorry, you lost me on this.. How is this applicable to the question being asked? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Sorry, you lost me on this.. How is this applicable to the question being asked? Thanks.
    The next question are, can some of the front fall be accomplished via tilting the bed forward and tilting the standards backwards until horizontal?

Do need the film plane vertical?

Can some of the movements be done with a square lens board with the lens mounted off-centre? -I have my 150mm mounted this way on a full size 6"1/4 Wehman lens board. (Edit: this is necessary due to non-changeable bellows)

And for what focal length are you planning on using?

And the budget? A friend used a cnc-machined Italian.....

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oslolens; 25-Apr-2022 at 07:13.

Chamonix 8x10 starts at about 4.5 inches with the front standard in the rear most mounting hole (tilting it back to be parallel with the rear standard) and tilting the rear standard back as far as it will go. Amount of "fall" increases the farther from the rear standard the front standard is. WA bellows a must.

This suitcase Horseman can tilt the rail on a tripod

Notice the standards have back and forth markings, meaning tilt

This camera was expensive when I bought it 2013

Horseman by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Tin Can

I'm not clear on what you need lots of front fall for. Could you enlighten us?

In any case, it pretty easy to simulate front fall by pointing the camera down and then simply tilting the standards back to perpendicular. That, coupled with whatever front fall/rear rise you have should work for all but the most extreme situations.

Another option is to use a lens board with an off-center hole, thus mounting the lens a bit lower than center and providing that little bit more effective fall.

Best,

Doremus

What are your image making need that required/ demands a field camera with the largest amount of front fall?

More important, what lens focal length is needed for your image making goals? This drives camera choice.

If freedom of camera movement is required a field camera is not a good choice as field cameras trade off camera movement capabilities for lightweight portability. Keep in mind all view cameras are a specific set of trade-offs with none being ideal for all image making needs/goals/demands.

Bernice