Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with film holder

Issue with film holder

Just processed a few negatives from a recent trip and found this weird line to the left hand side of my negatives. But only for a few of them, not all of them. I know it's not the lens because I've used two different lenses on two separate trips and had the same problem. I think I know which negative holder it is, but have any of you seen this before? I've attached a photo of the negative on the light table, it's a clear distinct line and it's on a few other negatives as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	226705

Re: Issue with film holder

It looks like it might be some exposure fogging, since there's a distinct density change rather than a thin line. The edges of the film don't look like they're affected, so the film holder looks like it's doing it's job there. I suspect some sort of light leak in the bellows, and some of the folds are shadowing the film near the edge to keep that area from getting fogged.

Check your bellows by extending them, and removing the back, so you can go inside with a flashlight and check from the outside for light leaks. Do this in a dark room, of course.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I think when this kind of stuff happens I'm using front rise/fall every time. Will check it out with/without movements and hopefully can find the culprit.

I've found straight-line leaks like this when using rise. Make sure your bellows are seated well to the front standard when using movements. The stress from pulled bellows can get you (did me).

Also,

Make sure you aren't pulling the spring back away from the camera body when pulling/replacing the darkslide. Pulling the back open just a smidge causes exactly this kind of exposure mark, to a greater or lessor extent. Pinch the spring back to the camera body with your free hand when pulling/inserting the darkslide.

Doremus

Tried the methods and made some checks you guys advised and it kept it straight. I think what the issue is, is that sometimes I'd put the dark slide in and accidentally insert it between the film holder and back, which slightly opened the back which in turn I believe caused that issue.

To prevent the darkslide or back open issue - pinch the outer back and back frame of the camera with one hand while inserting or removing the darkslide.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I assume you keep the dark cloth over the camera as you insert and remove the holder, and that your dark cloth is large enough. for 4x5 I prefer one 4ft x5 ft. Anything smaller has always proven costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I assume you keep the dark cloth over the camera as you insert and remove the holder
    I'm curious how common doing this is for others? I've never done this, I find the dark cloth in the way to insert the holder, so after framing and focusing, I remove the dark cloth, fold it and put it away before I even pull the film holder out of the bag. I've never had light leak issues though (well, one camera did and I found the grove that the ridge on the film holder locks into was slightly mis-sized/mis-positioned. So for that camera I learned that after inserting the film holder I needed to push it forward until the ridge clicked into the groove.)

I have a BTZS dark cloth, so it's not doable for me. But yeah, I realized my main problem is I'll put the dark slide in between the film holder and the back unknowingly, and that caused those weird light leaks sometimes.