Thread: No more dr5, for now

No more dr5, for now

.DR5 THE FINEST IN B&W
    ...A PRIVATE SERVICE FOR B&W SLIDES

ATTENTION PRESS RELEASE -
    We are currently in production [4-25-22]. THIS IS THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE LAST DR5 LAB RUN. (SORRY NO SEPIA RUN). We will keep the line going for as long as films come in, SO GET THOSE ROLLS INTO US! I expect the line to be active, possible to July, but will depend on films that come in and or if chemistry is depleted." PLEASE SHARE..

Attention one and all - Fellow dr5'ers.
    It has been with great contemplation, thought and some sadness that it is time for all good things to end. The dr5 service is approaching its 25th year and is coming to an end as it currently exists. Sadly, without industry support and a higher volume of film, the service is not sustainable in this digital driven world. Custom shops like ours simply can't make ends meet and maintain quality. The cost of raw materials, water, power and gas - some up 800%, have made this highly custom process too costly to provide, and we can't see film users paying gross amounts more per roll for processing, which in-turn will further deplete the volume we need for the highest quality control.

Dr5 is an important photographic process. We still are looking to publish dr5 and we hope the publishers of the darkroom cookbook want to add dr5 to its pages.
    As the creator, my plan is to bring it back home, close to the vest. Dr5 has come 'full-circle'. It will be once again for my own shooting work. There is plan to maybe set up a private service down the road - no plans are yet made in this regard.

In the meantime, in 2022 we may announce dr5 runs and we'll have to figure out how to broadcast that news - stay tuned.

Thanks for all the films over the years. I've seen each and every roll, numbering into the 100s of thousands.
    All the best. Dave Wood / dr5

https://dr5.us/index.html

Re: No more dr5, for now

That is upsetting. I really liked their service and the quality of the images. However, I am very excited to hear that they want to publish the process.