Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock Sironar 150mm

Rodenstock Sironar 150mm

Good evening (well, here anyway) all,

First, I did do a search on this in this thread and found nothing. I hope I did it correctly. Sorry if I missed it.
    Now, While looking through Micheal K Davis' "New Large Format Lenses for 4x5in, January 2022" spreadsheet we have online, I was a bit disappointed in that I could not find my lens. I have a Rodenstock Sironar 150mm, f5.6 - 64, Copal 1 mounted on my SINAR F. The lens works perfectly and all; but doesn't appear in the chart. What I was looking for was to verify the 67mm filter ring. However none of the lenses displayed have a 67mm front lens ring thread. If anyone might know why this is, it would be from some of you who have used Rodenstock for years. I have not; and unawares of the changes that might have occurred throughout the years. If it helps, the serial number is 8723987.

IS this an actual Rodenstock; or is it a fake (bought it from a well known used photo source)?

Any insights would help.

Thanks
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative

Re: Rodenstock Sironar 150mm

Your lens is not new.
    Without looking I believe those charts are correct.
    Mine Rodenstock in Copal #1 has 72mm filter.
    It's called apo-Sironar-W or apo-Sironar, while the Sinaron-SE was Sinar-sold version.
    The Sironar was replaced by a Sironar-N with smaller shutter and smaller filter threads.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Your lens is not new.
    Without looking I believe those charts are correct.
    Mine Rodenstock in Copal #1 has 72mm filter.
    It's called apo-Sironar-W or apo-Sironar, while the Sinaron-SE was Sinar-sold version.
    The Sironar was replaced by a Sironar-N with smaller shutter and smaller filter threads.

Thanks! That makes sense. It looks new; but it might have simply had a good life. So it's a Sironar-W; or just Sironar? It has no dash with a following letter.
    I appreciate the help! I guess I have to do some more hunting around to find out more facts. I did email Rodenstock Photo Optical to inquire more. IF they reply, I'll post what they said.
    Best!
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative

Just Sironar.
    The Apo-Sironar / Apo-Sironar-W is a 5x7"-lens with wider coverage.
    I believe the Sironar came in two versions, one of them with double aperture scale for two focal length, remove the front to have a longer lens.

That is a 1973 serial number.
    There was the original, convertible Sironar. Replaced by the non convertible Sironar N, replaced by the Sironar N MC, replaced by the Apo Sironar N, replaced by the Apo Sironar S.
    There was also the Apo Sironar which was relabeled to Apo Sironar W.

If you can’t figure out which you have then post pictures.

That's the original Sironar, without any additional letters in the name. It's a convertible lens contemporary to (and of the same class as) the plasmat-type Convertible Schneider Symmar. The difference is that the Sironar was made to use the front, not the rear cell when the lens is converted.

Myself, I actually prefer the old convertible Symmars and Sironars to the newer ones (Apo-Sironar-N, Symmar-S, Apo-Symmar) for their better out of focus background rendition at f/11 and smaller stops - with the exception of the Apo-Sironar-S and the Apo-Symmar-L which are also good in their background rendition.

There was a thread recently about the Sironar.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-convertibles

In the second post Dan Fromm shared a very interesting link.

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00863/00863.pdf

The 150mm Sironar is listed as having a M67x0.75 front thread.

I have a 180mm F5.6 Sironar so the link caught my attention.

Thanks Dan

Thanks fellas! This is the first I've heard of 'convertibles'. Sean, thanks for the links. Lots to learn here. Bob, thanks for the history lesson on the lens. Not having much experience with these lenses, the bokeh differences are very interesting. All I know at this moment, is that I really like the bokeh I'm getting with it.

Thanks again all!
    ~Jeff

Modern Plasmats like this Rodenstock Sironar are not optimized for Bokeh or into out of focus rendition. They are designed and optimized to be used about f22 with majority of the image in apparent focus. This was what the view camera market and users and image goals were during the time when these lenses were designed/produced/marketed. This is partly why Copal and other modern shutters do not have a round iris.

Going back one generation of lens designs and lenses produced, Bokeh and into out of focus rendition was a priority. This is why that generation of vintage lenses were non Plasmat designs with shutters or lens barrels that have a nice round iris. If you're curious about view camera lens Bokeh and into out of focus rendition, consider getting a previous generation lens like a Kodak Commercial Ektar. Know the shutter will likely need service or more, once shutter and lens cells are proven good, the Bokeh and into out of focus rendition might appeal to you, and they offer excellent color balance with moderate contrast.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by JLNims View Post
    Not having much experience with these lenses, the bokeh differences are very interesting. All I know at this moment, is that I really like the bokeh I'm getting with it.

Thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Going back one generation of lens designs and lenses produced, Bokeh and into out of focus rendition was a priority.
    Interesting. Why do you believe this?