Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AM Goerz Trigor production made by Kern?

Question AM Goerz Trigor production made by Kern?

I looked up threads here and searched in Google, but no answer is obtained so far for the title question.
    I’ve recently got a copal 3 sample of Goerz Optical Co. INC Trigor 14” f11.
    The scale shows f11 at minimum but the aperture blades goes wider up to the limit of the lens elements,
    so I suppose it’s the same f8 as the gold dot dagor 14” f8.

My sample came with the original box, dating the inspection 7/20/1970 by an inspector initialed by R.
    I don’t have a sample made in Switzerland by Kern, but from what I check from images on internet, I observe the same barrel design with matt finish, the end finish being larger, inferring the Kern design.
    I also have an AM Goerz Gold dot whose barrel is with glaze and the engravings on the front element barrel is indented and painted along the letters. There is no large end finish on the barrels for the AM gold dot.
    The trigor sample here has no indent on the barrel, simple letterings painted.

The box and the sheet show Goerz Optical Co. INC subsidiary of Kollmorgen.
    I wonder during the Kollmorgen period, if Goerz Optical Co. INC contracted with Kern to make trigor and gold dot dagor lenses, before Schneider bought Goerz Optical Co. INC.
    The original Goerz lens cap is embossed GERMANY on the side, CP Goerz New York on the top.
    If anyone has some insights about this topic, I’d like to know.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5DC8802F-F79E-4078-94AD-7501C9ED2864.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	226631

Name:	1DA070E6-D39A-4B3B-926A-2590257736ED.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	226632

Name:	1936FA3E-E7ED-4591-A891-518F55A2CF98.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	226633

Name:	49E98309-D055-4F32-A9DE-306DE078863B.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	226634
    Last edited by mhayashi; 22-Apr-2022 at 10:08.

Re: AM Goerz Trigor production made by Kern?

My 5.9 inch Gray's Extreme Angle Periscope is very similar. Also mounted in a Copal 3. Maximum marked f/stop is labeled f/14, but the iris opens up to f/10 for focusing per S K Grimes who mounted the lens in the Copal shutter many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mhayashi View Post
    I looked up threads here and searched in Google, but no answer is obtained so far for the title question.
    I’ve recently got a copal 3 sample of Goerz Optical Co. INC Trigor 14” f11.
    The scale shows f11 at minimum but the aperture blades goes wider up to the limit of the lens elements,
    so I suppose it’s the same f8 as the gold dot dagor 14” f8.

My sample came with the original box, dating the inspection 7/20/1970 by an inspector initialed by R.
    I don’t have a sample made in Switzerland by Kern, but from what I check from inages on internet, I observe the same barrel design with matt finish, the end finish being larger, inferring the Kern design.
    I also have an AM Goerz Gold dot whose barrel is with glaze and the engravings on the front element barrel is indented and painted along the letters. There is no large end finish on the barrels for the AM gold dot.
    The trigor sample here has no indent on the barrel, simple letterings painted.

The box and the sheet show Goerz Optical Co. INC subsidiary of Kollmorgen.
    I wonder during the Kollmorgen period, Goerz Optical Co. INC contracted with Kern to make trigor and gold dot dagor lenses, before Schneider bought Goerz Optical Co. INC.
    The original Goerz lens cap is embossed GERMANY on the side, CP Goerz New York on the top.
    If anyone has some insights about this topic, I’d like to know.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

Name:	5DC8802F-F79E-4078-94AD-7501C9ED2864.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	226631

Name:	1DA070E6-D39A-4B3B-926A-2590257736ED.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	226632

Name:	1936FA3E-E7ED-4591-A891-518F55A2CF98.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	226633

Name:	49E98309-D055-4F32-A9DE-306DE078863B.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	226634
    Did your search turn up this thread: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...075#post219075

In particular see post #2 by Kerry Thalman.

Yours is the third Goerz lens I've seen with a serial number in the range 1,100,xxx. The other two were on ebay, both 24 inch Red Dot Artars, barrel mounted, marked Goerz Optical Co., Inc, serial numbers 1,100,358 and 1,100,699. No evidence seen on either of these that they were made in Switzerland. (I've never seen a Goerz lens with a serial number between 850,000 and 1,100,000.) Kern-made Goerz lenses seem to generally have serial numbers of 2,xxx,xxx. Then at some point Schneider began to give the Dagors and Artars serial numbers contiguous with their historic series, probably starting with 13,xxx,xxx. These may have all been made in Germany.

As far as your lens cap being marked "Germany", that just tells us the country of origin of the lens cap. I have a few of that style of Goerz lens cap dating from the mid- to late 1960's to early 1970's. They are also marked "Germany."

David

Historically Goerz Blue Dot Trigors were wide field process lenses in barrel only. Goerz Trigors in shutter were likely a shutter re-mount at some point in the life of the Trigor.

They are excellent in many ways, small size, small full aperture, large image circle for their focal length -vs- physical size, high definition, excellent color rendition and excellent contrast rendition.

Bernice

I have a 14" Trigor with No. 1100014 and both engraving on front and back are exactly the same as yours. My lens was in barrel and I had it mounted on a Compur 3 shutter.

Note, mounting the Trigor once in barrel to Copal shutter gains a non-round iris. Might be significant, might make zero difference. Depends on your specific image making goals and needs.

Goerz America went to Kollmorgen Corp, then Schneider to this day. Some of the Goerz lens designs were produced under contract by Kern in CH.
    Notable, Schneider re-designed the APO artar to ease production and continued to offer this lens design. Rodenstock did similar with their APO ronar..

Ponder why these APO "process lenses" persisted in the market for SO many decades?

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Typical of later 14" Kern Dagors too, whether in Copal 3S shutter, or the very last in Compur 3. The viewing aperture was nominally f/8, but not otherwise really usable. In fact, you need to get down to around f/11 before focus shift is fully resolved and one begins entering the range of relatively acute focus, though certainly not a full image circle yet. Being designed for repro applications, The Trigors were more apo corrected than Dagors. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Historically Goerz Blue Dot Trigors were wide field process lenses in barrel only. Goerz Trigors in shutter were likely a shutter re-mount at some point in the life of the Trigor.

They are excellent in many ways, small size, small full aperture, large image circle for their focal length -vs- physical size, high definition, excellent color rendition and excellent contrast rendition.

Bernice
    My GOC ("A Subsidiary of Kollmorgen") price list dated August 1, 1970 shows the Blue Dot Trigor available in a mechanical shutter mount. Specifically the 6" in either a No. 1 Compur, a No. 1 Prontor or a No. 1 Copal; the 8 1/4" in a No. 1 Compur, a No. 3 Acme or a No. 1 Copal; the 9 1/2" in a No. 3 Acme (only); the 10 3/4" in a No. 4 Acme or a No. 3 Copal; and the 12" and 14" only in a No. 4 Acme. Note this list does not show the 14" Trigor available in the No. 3 Copal which is what the OP has. His Copal is of the proper vintage. Interestingly this price list shows the shutter mounted Trigors have a "normal factory reduction ratio" of 1:1, the same as the barrel mounted Trigors.

A separate GOC/Kollmorgen sheet also dated August 1970 says of the Trigor Series: "Previously available only as specials on a custom made basis..." "...are now offered as a standard series..." All focal lengths will be available in both shutter and barrel mounts. And it also states that they are set for maximum performance at object-image ratio of 1:1 "but may be used at other close conjugates from 10:1 to 1:10."

David

Thanks all for your comments!
    I suppose this lens was factory mounted on the copal 3 shutter at the production, the pencil marking “copal 3”.

Name:	38A5399E-882A-4EA3-8E56-74EE66C9FB32.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	226636

Name:	F898A927-D626-4A90-8144-2DBBA73720DE.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	226637

Tri Tran sold a nice sample with a very close serial number to mine whose box has the same pencil marking.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...nal-box.99792/

Another barrel sample in Russia is with the serial number 22001700 is made in Switzerland on the back of the rear barrel but it’s made during the GOC Kollmorgen period, the barrel and lettering finish resembles mine except “made in Switzerland”.

https://shopozz.ru/items/18440041273...ew-camera-lens

Whether GOC made my sample in NY or in Switzerland is still a mystery….
    Maybe all the serial numbers lower than 2xxxxxxx were still made in NY or not….

David, I missed that thread talking about the same topic. Thank you!

Sorry, my thread title should have started GOC, not AM. I can’t edit.

Probably my favorite LF lens of all time...a Kern built 14" Blue Dot Trigor - which I'd first tested by taping strips of the old Agfapan 25 to various spots in an 11/14 holder...middle and edges, and I swear to you that the resulting negatives matched those from my Mandler-designed Leitz 50mm Summicron - it was that good! Also very versatile, having pressed it into service for 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14.

About my only complaint was that it lacked a front filter thread - so I needed to cobble together a means for filter use...but a minor complaint for sure.

At any rate...I eventually sold the Trigor, and can only hope that it is still performing admirably, and in the hands of someone who can truly appreciate its stellar qualities!