Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting in the rain

Re: Shooting in the rain

A second tripod for the umbrella...a nice big golf style if there is no wind.

I have a VW Eurovan with a large lift-up door on the back. I have set the camera under it during rain (waiting for the short periods of no rain) -- and in Death Valley to work in the shade.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My doctor already thinks my pecs are developed from weightlifting - imagine what trying to manage 2 tripods would produce? Who needs trips to the gym when you have a daily routine of LF in the rain!

I've done this a few times on commercial shots. The type of rain makes all the difference. Driving rain with wind will simply damage all your equipment and your spirit. The water will get everywhere as will mist and just the 100% humidity. I've shot both 4x5 and 8x10 and between lens fogging due to temperature changes and mist and getting very wet during set up and tear down I just stopped doing it. The shot is a tiny portion of the time. Shooting from inside a van would work as noted above but do be aware of condensation issues on both faces of the lens.

Drew Wiley

While an umbrella is a highly portable amenity, I can't imagine it being of value except under the mildest rainstorm conditions - just a still bigger kite than the camera bellows as far as I'm concerned. Been there, done that. I prefer to set up and take down fast - no second tripod, just a single really solid one like my wooden Ries. Waterproof darkcloth enclosing all but the lens perspective itself. I've actually done a great deal of bad weather view camera photography, sometimes really wet and windy. It can be a lot of work drying everything out afterwards. Now, if possible, I prefer to use quicker, more wind-resistant MF gear for that kind of addictive fun and foolishness.

Wait forever in the rain scenarios, like wildlife photography blinds, are somewhat different, and something like a tall-enough pop-up shelter might make sense, but only if there's a way to seriously anchor them in place. There's nothing quite like having EVERYTHING blow down and away - been there too.