Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping or tossing prints?

Re: Keeping or tossing prints?

I have wrestled with this issue many times.

I decided that often, it was a question of; am I really improving an image or simply creating a slightly different image. Indeed it was not unusual for me to find I like my second or third revision better than my last "perfect" revision after a few days.

As an hobbyist, my personal bias places content over technical perfection. So now, I find it best to stop when the photograph conveys the idea I want. When I am happy with the print, I try not to second guess the results.

In most cases, the people who view my photos would not notice any minor change I made, so their suggestions would simply be adding their biases to my work.

Photography is personal, it reflects one's opinions. There is no wrong answer.

A lot of this assumes that a negative only creates one image. More often than not, I create more than one image with a negative. One might be almost all of the negative, while another might be just a small section, another might be toned brown, another might be a different section with very high contrast, another might be hand-painted with transparent watercolors, another might be a panorama, another might be merged with a completely different negative (or two), one might have a texture screen added, another....................

One of my favorites was of an old barn. I developed it by using a spray bottle with developer in it. There's no way to reproduce it exactly.
    Last edited by xkaes; 19-Apr-2022 at 15:47.

I review all of my working prints after a couple of days to let them dry out properly and then select my favourite one from the workflow.

The rest get binned.

I chuck a considerable number of my final prints too upon review after a few weeks of being stored, so I come to them again with fresh eyes.

You need to be your own harshest critic.

I've looked through too many other photographers work which has been a mixture of hits and misses.

Martin

xkaes does make a valid point; cropping, toning, and other modifications, can create a lot more head scratching that trying to tweak the perfect photo. I do have multiple variations on the same negative, because I like them all.

There is no law saying you have to pick just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post

You need to be your own harshest critic.

Martin
    Good routine. And only show your best work.

Thanks,
    Merg

Regarding being your own harshest critic: Albeit digital, my most sought after print was one that I was one second from brooming to the discard file.

My wife saw it and exclaimed: That's perfect, I want it in a 16x20!

Months later, I went to capture the same scene on film and a storm had removed it. The photo is titled "Mill Ruins". It had been there for over 100 years, but the creek bed flooded and washed it all away. A once in a lifetime photo.

While we can be own harshest critic, solicit the eyes of another. My wife's eye is my final opinion from here on out.

Really bad rejects are destroyed. The fairly good rejects might get tagged with the negative ID in case i want to reprint them in the distant future, or be given to friends who understand they may be rejects, but still like them. Why destroy what others may appreciate? If I was more businessman than photographer, destroying rejects would help maintain sale prices. However, I like people better than money.

Save one to write the process on and toss the rest.

Fine Art & Architect

sometimes I keep them. that way I can compare to a good print to a work print for future printing. I can see where to dodge and burn.

If I want to keep a less than anticipated print I cut the corner off, in the white border. That way I know, if I come across it later, that it is 'less than perfect'.