Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping or tossing prints?

Re: Keeping or tossing prints?

If it's a "keeper," I keep it. If it's not, it gets torn to itty-bitty pieces and tossed in the trash. When in doubt, throw it out. I'll go back through prints months or even years later and throw more out. My trash can is my best darkroom tool.

Doremus

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

There's an old story about Ansel Adams keeping his slightly flawed work prints. Adams was also generous about reviewing visiting photographers' portfolios. If a visitor seemed sufficiently full of himself in bragging about his work, Adams would start tearing up those old work prints, crying something to the effect of "you're right, my work is so inferior, my life has been a waste...", to the visitor's horror.

Don't know if it's true or not, but it's a good story.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    There's an old story about Ansel Adams keeping his slightly flawed work prints. Adams was also generous about reviewing visiting photographers' portfolios. If a visitor seemed sufficiently full of himself in bragging about his work, Adams would start tearing up those old work prints, crying something to the effect of "you're right, my work is so inferior, my life has been a waste...", to the visitor's horror.

Don't know if it's true or not, but it's a good story.

That’s a great story. I often feel like tearing up my prints, but it wouldn’t provide the same kind of drama.

Into the garbage can which sits right next to my darkroom sink. As you said, space is limited, and I don't see any point in hanging onto the "iterative steps" along the way. When I have the print I want, I typically make two copies, one which gets dry mounted onto 2-ply board, and one goes into an empty paper box, in case I mess up the first print during toning or mounting.

John Olsen

Since my "final and best" will be mounted and, with luck, sold or on display somewhere, I always keep the "almost best" for consultation when I go back to do reprints. It saves a huge amount of time, considering that my chemical mix, paper quality or enlarger lamp intensity may be different years later. Also, sometimes I decide that my final version went too far and retracing the progression helps correct some heavy-handed treatment. I guess I'm a hoarder.

There's also the old saying, "the garbage can is the most under-used tool in the darkroom".
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I cut them into strips and make bookmarks.
    My wife likes to cut mine up into bookmarks as well.

If you think you might get into Carbon Printing- you can transfer to the back of an RC print and get a decent Carbon Print. It makes a nice matte surface.

Ever see what can happen to an unwashed "reject" print that's been in the trash for awhile? Can look pretty amazing! Then again, its always advisable to give a good rinse to freshly processed prints which will end up in the trash (to help mitigate future darkroom contamination)...but still!

But yeah...the prospect of ending up with a huge pile of prints when it all ends is - depressing! Think I'll have that bonfire! (of the vanities )

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Think I'll have that bonfire! (of the vanities )
    I'd rather have people ask why I burned my prints than ask why I didn't...