Thread: Film Holder Price Drop?

Film Holder Price Drop?

Just noodeling around on the-bay this AM and noticed an offer for ten brand new "Crown" brand 4x5 film holders for what amounts to around $7.50 each.

Looking around more, I have seen other, perhaps better-known brands offered for not that much more. Often, they are in lots of ten or so.

Is there a shift in the market for 4x5 film holders or am I just out of touch?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Film Holder Price Drop?

there is another recent thread around here somewhere that suggest the quality man not be all that. Nonetheless, the fact that new ones are being made may be a good thing. (I have no personal experience, just relaying what I read.)

Made in Taiwan New

Taiwan makes good stuff

Everybody in our World is scrambling for cash
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I wouldn't characterize your observation as "out of touch" but it is such a small sample size that valid conclusions about "the market" are not likely.

I think a lot of the price variation is a combination of how motivated a seller is to move the merch. For 7 or 8 bucks each... that seems about nominal pricing to me based on completed sales (not counting the Toyo sales since they seem to always be valued higher than all others). Like @abruzzi said, I'm shocked that anyone is making these new; I though that day had long since past.

I was just at a camera swap sale where 4x5 film holders were selling for about $1 each... he had huge stacks of them. Now if you wanted 5x7 the price went up a bit and 8x10 holders were still quite expensive ($50 for old wooden ones).