Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5-liter Graduates for Mixing Chemistry

Re: 5-liter Graduates for Mixing Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I hate having to mix and store these large quantities...
    Why? It's easy, at room temperature, and five liter beakers are readily available. Then store it in small bottles; it lasts a loooong time that way:

Used to use an opaque plastic bucket for gallon and 5-liter mixes of D-76, ID-11 and Xtol, got fed up with that as it was often hard to see the volume markings molded into the plastic. A few years ago I bought one of these 5 L calibrated, translucent plastic graduates - no more hassles. I'm happy.

For storage of the mixed developer I use 500 ml brown glass bottles - bought a carton of them years ago from the Formulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I refuse to use Amazon, so I had my wife buy these for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Terbold-Plast...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    It's important to stick with your principles!

Because I’m not a high volume user and I find it annoying. The storage takes up space. Granted complaining about XTOL quantities is dumb at this point since 5l packets have been the only option for many years, but much more recently both D-76 and Dektol 1l packets seem to have disappeared. Of course D-76 can simply be replaced with ID-11 1l packets and scratch-mixing is fairly simple, but I liked buying Kodak developers. On the other hand the whole chemistry thing is Sino Promise now so my loyalty to Kodak chemistry = 0. So…basically I’m just complaining because why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Why? It's easy, at room temperature, and five liter beakers are readily available. Then store it in small bottles; it lasts a loooong time that way:

Because I’m not a high volume user and I find it annoying. The storage takes up space. Granted complaining about XTOL quantities is dumb at this point since 5l packets have been the only option for many years, but much more recently both D-76 and Dektol 1l packets seem to have disappeared. Of course D-76 can simply be replaced with ID-11 1l packets and scratch-mixing is fairly simple, but I liked buying Kodak developers. On the other hand the whole chemistry thing is Sino Promise now so my loyalty to Kodak chemistry = 0. So…basically I’m just complaining because why not.
    I'm with you on this. Despite the considerable expensive I've thinking of switching to Ilford DD-X. I used it in the past and it lasted a very long time and never failed me. Simple developer to keep around the darkroom, and doesn't take up any space.

About ten years ago i got a set of Leddal SS graduated 'buckets' from 1000 to 5000ml. I love them, some of my most cherished darkroom items
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	226564

I think Adox offer XT-3, A-49 and Adotol-Konstant in 1L packages - with Captura etc. And there's also a few Foma developers done in 1L packs too. On the other hand, I've found myself wishing that ID-11 was still available in bigger than 5L packages...

Because I’m not a high volume user...
    Neither am I. After mixing five liters of XTOL, it usually sits in those 250ml amber glass Boston Round bottles for more than a year before I have to stir up another batch. No difference in performance over time. I find it convenient not needing to mix the powder very often.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    About ten years ago i got a set of Leddal SS graduated 'buckets' from 1000 to 5000ml. I love them, some of my most cherished darkroom items
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	226564
    I've scored some of these gems on Ebay over the years. The biggest I have is 4 liter. I've checked a couple and the graduations are quite accurate. These are beautiful, immortal.

The only one that tempts me is XT3 since it is ostensibly identical to XTOL in working characteristics. Expensive though (basically 3x the price of XTOL in the US), but anyway.

If you need larger quantities of ID-11, can’t you mix two or more boxes of 5l at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I think Adox offer XT-3, A-49 and Adotol-Konstant in 1L packages - with Captura etc. And there's also a few Foma developers done in 1L packs too. On the other hand, I've found myself wishing that ID-11 was still available in bigger than 5L packages...