Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can't get sharp photos with an LF camera

can't get sharp photos with an LF camera

when I compare my photos with what I find here and elsewhere on the net, they never look as sharp. Sometimes I do get a sharp one. But I cannot attribute that to a lens of film. It isn't movement, the blur is general, it doesn't have a direction like you normally have with movement.

And if I compare my results with my medium format cameras then I have the same impression. A photo I take with the Mamiya Press or Fuji 690 is sharper and has more definition then a 4x5 using the same film, development and scanner.

So I have 2 cameras. A Wista 45N that I use with 4x5 and a since recently a Wista 45D with a 6x9 back. And each get me the same results, not as sharp as I would expect. Lenses are the same, Fujinon CM-W and SWD, film is Foma 100, 200, FP4 or Adow CMSII. Development is almost always HC110 B (*) and the scanner is an Epson V700. always using a Gaoesi 8x loupe, a tripod and a release cable. Nothing exceptional but more than good enough to give a sharp image. With the Mamiya Press it would be the same film, development, scanner, tripod.... but the result is far better.

So I'm missing something. But I have no idea what. Only thing I can think of is that focusing on the ground glass is the issue. That is the largest difference I see. The distance might be faulty. But how to check? with a rangefinder of reflex, you put a ground glass in place of the film and check. But with a ground glass it doesn't make much difference to change it by another. I did check orientation of the Ground glass, the ground side is towards the lens. Both those cameras do have a fresnel. It is also towards the lens (so between the lens and the ground glass). I have no idea if those are original.

But I'm out of ideas. So what could I check otherwise?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: can't get sharp photos with an LF camera

Is it possible that your scanner is the issue? What does a comparison of the negatives show. You should have no problem getting sharp images with the lenses you mention.

Put your negative on a light box and look at it with a powerful magnifying glass. My guess is that you have a scanning issue and the negative will look sharp. If you zoom into one of your 4X5 scans do you see the individual film grains?

There are so many other things that could be an issue. Tripod? Using a loupe to focus? Lens problem? Use of lens problem? I doubt you have a film registration error on two different cameras.

If you think your film and ground glass are at different distances, that is easily checked. Put a yard stick at a 45 degree angle and focus wide open on a particular number. Is that what is sharp on the negative? The few times I have done this I line up objects on the top rail of a fence and shoot down the row, focusing on just one. There are lots of easy ways to check this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    If you think your film and ground glass are at different distances, that is easily checked. Put a yard stick at a 45 degree angle and focus wide open on a particular number. Is that what is sharp on the negative? The few times I have done this I line up objects on the top rail of a fence and shoot down the row, focusing on just one. There are lots of easy ways to check this.
    I agree. First check the negative to rule out the scanner. Then run this test to see if your film & screen are "OFF". The other thing is focusing on the ground glass. Are you using your naked eye, glasses or a loupe? Any of these three could be "OFF". Do you have a resolution chart? If not use a newspaper as a test target.

Am I understanding correctly that the fresnel is between the gg and the lens? I was taught that a fresnel should be behind the normal gg because the fresnel has a focal length which can introduce focusing errors. Therefore, from the back of the camera the order should be fresnel-->gg-->lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that the fresnel is between the gg and the lens? I was taught that a fresnel should be behind the normal gg because the fresnel has a focal length which can introduce focusing errors. Therefore, from the back of the camera the order should be fresnel-->gg-->lens.
    This jumped out at me too. I know on Pacemaker Graphics the fresnel is supposed to be between the GG and the lens, but I don’t know if this is true for Wistas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

This is a good point, but it depends on the camera. Some cameras are designed for the fresnel between the GG and the lens, others behind the GG. My Toko cameras come with just a GG so the fresnel (in my case Beattie Intenscreen) goes behind the GG. Wista 45 cameras -- according to Beattie -- come with a fresnel between the GG and the lens, so the Intensceen replaces the fresnel in front of the GG.

This, of course, assumes that the camera has not been modified -- and that the BEATTIE info is 100% correct:

https://www.intenscreen.com/pdf/INST...EW_CAMERAS.pdf

So it looks like the fresnel is probably in there correctly -- but the 45N, 45D & 45 II might be different from the 45.
    Last edited by xkaes; 13-Apr-2022 at 12:47.

Well, I only took apart the GG of the Wista 45D as it was in need of a clean. And what I found was:
    - lens
    - fresnel with the ridges to the side of the lens
    - metal spacer
    - GG with the ground side towards the lens.

But I have no idea at all if this was the original way it was, if any of then was at the right place or if one of them was correctly oriented. I take it the GG was correctly oriented with the ground side towards the lens.

But is the fresnel original? Is it oriented the right way? Is the spacer in the correct place (between fresnel and GG)? Is the fresnel and GG in the correct order?

If I see my results and compare to other photos then something is wrong. But what? There is no first hand information at all how these cameras left the factory. Heck, I have no idea if the GG or fresnel is even the one that the factory put in, they are "unsigned".
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Fresnel lenses applied on the ground glass with the belief and idea to "brighten" the GG image easing focus is often a mixed of problems or might be improved. Stopped using any fresnel as a GG viewing aid decades ago, too many problems and overall unworthy gain in focusing improvement.

Check for what is the ground glass_fresnal combo OEM spec for this Wista 45D. Ascertain the GG and fresnel IS designed and specific for this Wista 45D. If they are not verifiable correct for this Wista 45D, obtain the proper items. Alternative, measure the mounted ground glass distance to film holder seating area -vs- spec'ed film holder distances then adjust this distance to make them equal. Ditch the fresnel lens as previously mentioned, they can cause more problems than solve the focusing challenge.

Do this before burning any more film in this camera, given the current situation the results will be more out of focus film images. If the view camera system is good and proper with good view camera optics, the film images will equal or exceed the image quality of a medium format film image.

Bernice

I have a 45 Wista RF that was gently rehabilitated by Kumar's expert in Japan

It is perfect

From rear, GG, fresnel, lens Fresnet is embossed AT2IW which IS WISTA from GG side!

Almost looks like one piece...

Quick iPhone pics

IMG-1123 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1122 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can