Thread: Red & Black darkslides

Red & Black darkslides

Saw an auction on eBay for 5x7 film holders. Darkslides are red on one side and black on the other. Wonder if they are IR safe?

Is this something newer or has it been around and I have just missed them?

A link so you can see what they are. I have no relation to the sale - just thought it interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26541120288...3ABFBM6L-ekoNg
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: Red & Black darkslides

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Saw an auction on eBay for 5x7 film holders. Darkslides are red on one side and black on the other. Wonder if they are IR safe?

Is this something newer or has it been around and I have just missed them?

A link so you can see what they are. I have no relation to the sale - just thought it interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26541120288...3ABFBM6L-ekoNg
    Hard to tell but I think only one side of each darkslide is red? Probably just a user customization.. i.e. they spray painted them because they kept messing up which dark slides were exposed vs not exposed is my guess.

Looking at the ad and at others it appears they were made that way. Yes, one side Red and the other Black.

As I wrote, is this something new or I just don't pay attention too well?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I'd say it is a new customization - I've not seen that in - oh - like 40 years. Certainly would not work if they were just spray painted though - would have to have been done in the manufacturing to work properly I would think. Pair those with a red bellows camera and you'd be stylin'...

Long time in Japan

Very nice!
    Tin Can

Hello all
    In regards to the link for the following item "4 3/4 x 6 1/2 CUT FILM HOLDER & DARK SLIDES for 5x7 Large Format Film Camera"

Please be careful, these are NOT 5x7 film holders
    They are the same outer dimensions as 5x7 inch and 13x18cm but they are internally for 12x16.5cm / half plate / 4.75x6.5

I’ve stumbled across the black and red film holders a lot when looking at Rittreck cameras. As Dan suggests, these are all half plate, not 5x7. I don’t know if they were made by Rittreck, or just commonly used with them but unless you have half plate film, they are more curiosities than anything.

Not new, not a user customization. Common in the Japanese market. I have a few holders with darkslides like this, used to have more in both WP and 6x10, all of them Tachihara Hope holders offered for the corresponding expansion backs of the Rittreck View. I've seen from other Japanese vendors as well, though I've not previously seen Fidelity holders with this.

Just looked at the listing. The holders are in Nagoya, Japan, my wife's home town, where we met. They fix eel much better than in Tokyo and the alcoholic pickles (Moriguchi Daikon) are pretty good too. They're pickled in the residue from the sake making process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Just looked at the listing. The holders are in Nagoya, Japan, my wife's home town, where we met. They fix eel much better than in Tokyo and the alcoholic pickles (Moriguchi Daikon) are pretty good too. They're pickled in the residue from the sake making process.
    Unagi !!! mmmmm
    notch codes ? I only use one film...