Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deformed Wood Frame

Deformed Wood Frame

Hi!

I have bought an old Nagaoka 8x10 camera and the frame that holds the ground glass and the holders is a bit deformed, in a convex way. If I put some paper in the metal parts that hold the frame, It comes closer with a bit of pressure to the camera body so I can avoid most light leaks, but there are some little leaks in the borders of the film.

I'm thinking about sticking light seal foam to the camera body, do you think that it is a good idea or it won't fix the issue? Did anyone have a similar problem? How did you fix this issue?

Thanks!

Re: Deformed Wood Frame

Even PRO camera makers use light seals

I have several rolls of various felt tape to fix leaks

Kinda depends on the problem

I was given an 11X14 glass plate DDS that is STILL very warped

I have tried many ways to bend it straight
    Tin Can

Keep in mind that the measurement from the focussing surface of the ground glass to the plane which is defined by that upon which an inserted film holder rests is absolutely critical to ensure accurate focus - and that anything placed between these two planes will violate this.

But...if a slight amount of pressure from the back of this frame (elastic bands?) would help its lower surface make even contact with the aforementioned film holder contact surface - then this might be OK, but perhaps only for awhile, as the continuance of such an uneven pressure, especially in an older wooden camera, may over time cause an amount of general warpage to the back of the camera itself.

Then again, if the amount of back pressure required to assure good contact is only very slight - then all will likely be OK.

Thanks for your reply, some comments:

John, I mean, the ground glass and the film holder are always in the same plane. The issue is in the frame that you switch from landscape to portrait orientation, the leaks come from its connection with the camera's body.

Tin, the issue is that this frame doesn't fit properly with the body, it is better to try to recover the original form? how can I do it? It is possible to put there the light seal foam to compensate for the deformation? or it is such a bad idea?

Good pictures of the problem may help

We are now in Spring Camera madness

Most experts are very busy

Quote Originally Posted by inavas View Post
    Thanks for your reply, some comments:

John, I mean, the ground glass and the film holder are always in the same plane. The issue is in the frame that you switch from landscape to portrait orientation, the leaks come from its connection with the camera's body.

Tin, the issue is that this frame doesn't fit properly with the body, it is better to try to recover the original form? how can I do it? It is possible to put there the light seal foam to compensate for the deformation? or it is such a bad idea?
    Tin Can

Sure, I attach here a picture of the back-right side of the camera, here is where the light leaks are.

I tried to screw better the metal part that holds the frame, but I wasn't able to fit closer to the camera's body.

If the little paper is not there, the frame moves a bit and there are major light leaks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34c367bc-72f9-445a-8461-c0641ace05be.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	226449

I very carefully bend the tang back

Sure, I attach here a picture of the back-right side of the camera, here is where the light leaks are.

I tried to screw better the metal part that holds the frame, but I wasn't able to fit closer to the camera's body.

If the little paper is not there, the frame moves a bit and there are major light leaks.

Name:	34c367bc-72f9-445a-8461-c0641ace05be.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	226449
    Tin Can

Hi Tin, what part do you mean with tang? Sorry, my English is not very good!

The chrome plated part with the paper

First remove the back and look for damage

Look underneath to see how the metal is attached

It looks to me a small adjustment of the chrome metal could be to bend it a bit

not uncommon

The screws in the picture look tampered

Hi Tin, what part do you mean with tang? Sorry, my English is not very good!
    Tin Can

Thanks! I will do that too.

Do you think I should add a bit of velvet like this one?
    https://www.amazon.es/Terciopelo-Adh...9&sr=8-21&th=1

Will it work well for light sealing? It is thinner than the high-density foam that is usually used.

I'm thinking of putting it in the wooden part inside the camera that was painted in black. Will it make a tighter connection between the camera body and the frame?

Name:	IMG_5840.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	226460