Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap 4X5 Cameras are Everywhere

Re: Cheap 4X5 Cameras are Everywhere

easy to buy - hard to sell when you want something else.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Niels

I see an extremely imperfect market for film equipment.
    If you look at the usual suspects; ebay and known dealers, there are not many bargains to be had.
    On the other hand; in local classifieds and estate sales etc. it is still possible to get film equipment for close to nothing.
    However, If you are after specifics the latter approach may require a bit of patience.
    ----
    Niels

I value the monorail and the precise and fast work I can do with it. I have an excellent transport case for my Sinar P2, in both 4x5" and 8x10".
    As long as my body allows it, I carry them outdoors for hikes in rough terrain. I do maintain a 5 miles distance limit from the car.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Apparently sellers of Arca-Swiss cameras didn't get the memo that monorails sell for peanuts
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Related topic I see medium format has very little resale value making me a little worried of long term availability of 120.

This worked out in my favor recently when a Rollei 6008i stopped working. It cost me almost $2000, but I was able to get a replacement like new body for just $600.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Related topic I see medium format has very little resale value making me a little worried of long term availability of 120.

This worked out in my favor recently when a Rollei 6008i stopped working. It cost me almost $2000, but I was able to get a replacement like new body for just $600.
    It really depends on the model of medium format camera. Prices for Fuji 645zi models seem particularly over the moon to me. They are an older camera now with some known weaknesses (dying LCD displays etc).. basically you are paying for maybe a year of service with it before it breaks and possibly becomes unfixable.

I truely mikss the "good-'ol-days" of the Houston Camera Show.

Wish I knew then what I know now though. I;d have taken out a loan and bought up all those old brass lenses.

I would not have sold off a Leicva gIII. . . .or the Dual Range Summicron it came with.

Most of all, I miss the direct interaction with the buyers and sellers.

TToday there is something steril about on-line shopping.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Pentax 67s, Hasselblads, Mamiya 6/7s, etc. are up up up. You may have been lucky with a lesser-known or less popular camera. 120 is as popular as ever from what I've seen.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Agree

120 roll film is way better than 35

120 does enlarge well

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Pentax 67s, Hasselblads, Mamiya 6/7s, etc. are up up up. You may have been lucky with a lesser-known or less popular camera. 120 is as popular as ever from what I've seen.
    Tin Can

What would be the reason for me to keep my amazing 4x5 Sinar P2 and many lenses if I am not likely to ever shoot film again?

I haven't touched it in about 15 years, and only work in Digital. I don't shoot in a product studio. I was using my P2 for almost exclusively Architecture, but I lost all of my clients in 2008. If I need to shoot products for a client, I use my Canon digital cameras with my Balcar and Speedotron big strobe packs, dialed way down in power.
    Sometimes, assistants looked at all the strobe gear aghast, but even that doesn't stretch it's legs very often now.

Plus, I've left Photography mostly, and now work as a Perfumer.

But dang did I love to shoot buildings and houses with that P2. It is a dream camera, compared to those other lesser view cameras that I learned on. I couldn't believe it when Sinar ran a two year no interest promo on the P2, I jumped on the chance to buy one.

But it has just languished in the case for a long time.
    And there does not seem to be a 4" x 5" digital sensor for flash photography that will ever be made, and the scanning backs just aren't what is gonna do it for me.

I just hate to give it up, but there just doesn't seem to be a purpose to keep what I spent $15,000 USD on P2 body, accessories, and amazing and hard to obtain lenses, that is now just rather worthless monetarily.

What are your thoughts? Is there any hope, or need to keep this amazing camera and lenses?