Many want new or mint, but most LF cameras are cheap used

I have nothing to do with KEH or any of their cameras

They ship for free and have free returns

I have bought my share from them

This is just an example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29491251758...Cclp%3A2047675
    Tin Can

Re: Cheap 4X5 Cameras are Everywhere

I got my Sinar F from KEH around Christmas time for $26. They said it was in "as-is" condition but it is/was fine.

I bought a perfectly good 4x5 Norma from KEH recently for $225. And obviously their repair dept did some good work on it which was a bonus. Asked if they would sell extra parts the answer was NOPE.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I got an Omega View 45D for $50 shipped. It needed bellows...(they all do. ).

Was just at a local camera swap sale yesterday, and although prices for basically every other analog item has gone up from a few years ago- "working class" 4x5 cameras basically couldn't be given away. A rare and unusual 4x5 camera is still expensive though.

It seems like the monorail is still the cheap option. Folding field and technical 4x5s are way up, but monorails have been resistant to price increases, though Sinars do finally seem to be climbing. Though UPP has a few Sinar Alpinas for under $200.

I think that this reflects that a lot of people getting into LF are not studio photographers and look at monorails as too clumsy to take into the field. So very compact monorails like the Technkardan or the VX125 still command high used prices, but things like that B&J linked above have dropped to borderline give-away status.

If you don't absolutely want the "big names" because "they are soo much better" you can get set up for a reasonable cost. But if you want to pay for a brand name on your gear, go ahead.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Monorail view cameras remain for now to be the absolute value view camera. This is likely due to the current obsession by folks curious about this sheet film, glass plate and etc with lightweight field foldable view cameras.. IMO, an extension of the fixed lens box camera they are familiar with and the comfort and familiarity of a "portable, hand held" camera transferred-projected to what a sheet film camera should be and what 4x5 press cameras (4x5 speed Graphics are now $$$, Linhof Technika are now $$$$+) were so good at doing. Except there are absolute limitations and trade-offs and goodness with cameras like this.

Monorail view cameras remain far less desirable due to their perceived weight, bulk and .... yet IMO, they are one of the best cameras to learn how to view camera on and these can be had for a remarkable value.

Bernice

The market is a peculiar thing. I have a Toyo 45C and a Wista 45DX. The Wista was four times the price of the Toyo. Portability aside, the Toyo is a better camera in every respect. It also came with 2 lens boards, a roll film slider, and a set of bag bellows. Price really has very little to do with the capabilities of any given camera. Monorails would go up in price significantly if they were promoted by the right youtubers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Monorail view cameras remain far less desirable due to their perceived weight, bulk and .... yet IMO, they are one of the best cameras to learn how to view camera on and these can be had for a remarkable value.
    Moving from a folding box camera (Master Technika) to a monorail (Technikardan 45) was a bit of a revelation for me. At this point I'd much rather have a monorail for everything, but while the TK45 makes for a extemely compact 4x5 monorail, there is nothing nearly as compact for 5x7 or 8x10. For now I primarily use folders for those sizes, but I'd love a TK57 if such a thing existed.