Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding a Norma for transport

Folding a Norma for transport

The Norma manual suggests that you move the carriers to the far ends of the base rail, then use the tilt to fold them down towards each other, leaving the bellows attached to one of the standards (I'm guessing the front since the bellows in the drawing have a taper.):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 6.27.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	226349

My 4x5 Norma has square bellows at the moment, but I definitely cant get the angle displayed here, I can't even get it down to parallel with the rail. Is this because I have the square bellows? Or older, less flexible bellows?

Does anyone successfully fold and transport the camera this way? It works perfectly on the F because the rise is below the tilt, meaning you can just raise each standard to the point that it can be folded to parallel, but the Norma doesn't have that option. Currently I'm doing what's pictured in the drawing, just removing the bellows first, which works but is slower and requires that I have a place to put the bellows--so less than ideal.

Re: Folding a Norma for transport

interesting, thanks! My square bellows don't compress that much (and I have three sets!)--maybe they're old and stiff. I ordered a tapered set off eBay from a Japanese seller, so I'll soon see if they do any better.

just a follow up--the tapered bellows I ordered came in and this one works much better then the 4 square bellows I have. Just like in the picture, the front standard with the bellows still attached can fold down a little past parallel. Its a tiny bit more compact than my F, and unlike the F, the tilt angle guage isn't going to get caught on the bag and bent out of shape.

I don't know if it is becuase the tapered bellows can naturally compress more (because the please are more nested) or the tapered bellows is just in better shape.

Next up--how to pack a P2 5x7....(I think that one is going in a pelican case.)

Might be easier to transport a Norma with a shorter rail, complete camera. Set up is much easier and rapid than folding as the Norma is stored and transported complete with shutter and lens. Essentially, lift out of the case, place on the camera support, add rails as needed, essentially ready to work.

Name:	Sinar Norma_short rail.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	226553

Name:	Sinar Norma_front CR.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	226554

Bernice

I’m assuming that’s a customized base rail? The only base rails I’ve seen are the 12in older single sided base, the later double sided 12in, and in the catalogs, there is a very long base rail not sure the length, but probably close to 450mm. What your picture show looks like a 6in extension rail converted to a base rail.

Drew Wiley

I don't don't fold my Norma down for transport, having a different method. But the original tapered Norma bellows has a number of advantages over the later box bellows, and one of them is that it is indeed more supple, flexible, and compressible. I presume it was discontinued in 4x5 fashion because the box-style bellows could be mass-manufactured in longer continuous lengths and simply sectioned off, making those significantly more economical to produce.

I'm a long lens type, so ordinarily have about 2 ft of rail in place all the time, and then only shorten it if I happen to use a wide-angle lens, which is not often. But being modular, there are numerous ways all Sinar cameras can be configured or re-configured for convenient transport. But 'scuse me, 'cause I have to go now and place my own Norma pack in the truck, and head out soon for a decent knee workout in our hills.

Yes, that is a standard Sinar rail that has been cut down to fit to sockets inside a Pelican case. The 5x7 Norma is held by the two caps bolted to the top and bottom inside of the pelican case, then foamed around the Norma to damp and prevent movement while being wheeled around in the pelican case.

Name:	Sinar Norma 5x7 system.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	226555

The Norma can fit on to the standard 6" rail complete. There is a lost of ease to add rails as the standard 6" rail is designed to screw on to the standard rail which has fixed threaded rail sockets. Majority of transport and packing dislikes with monorail camera has much to do with the length of the rail, storing the monorail camera with a short rail solves this problem very nicely and has nil impact with the advantages monorail cameras offer.

And yes, the original Norma bellows are more flexi, extends more and nicer to use than the later square bellows. Think Custom Bellows in the UK makes Sinar Norma OEM bellows per order.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I’m assuming that’s a customized base rail? The only base rails I’ve seen are the 12in older single sided base, the later double sided 12in, and in the catalogs, there is a very long base rail not sure the length, but probably close to 450mm. What your picture show looks like a 6in extension rail converted to a base rail.

Yeah, I get the benefit of leaving everything upright. To fold mine the way Sinar details above I have to remove the lens and disconnect the bellows from the rear standard, otherwise setup is very quick, and folded I can easily store in in a moderate sized shoulder bag. And, yeah, I just got back from taking a couple of shots with it out in the desert (with the Kodak 203mm). I seems a tiny bit more robust than the ultra cheap F I got a while back. (The F would always bend the arrow that points to the tilt angle. On the Norma that is more protected, and essentially impossible to mess up.)

Norma is a much nicer made camera than the F or F2, Both are nice to use in their own way. These days, simply prefer the Norma in many ways. Not a backpacker or hiker, or why the Pelican roller works to meet the image making needs. The tripod rides on the pelican roller case with bungee cords making a easy roller outfit.

The days of $100 USD for a good user Sinar F are mostly gone today. They were a excellent value back then.

Bernice