Thread: Monalog Collective Monalogfest

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Monalog Collective Monalogfest

I hope some of you can make it to our event. It should be fun and educational.

Inaugural Monalog Collective Monalogfest

A Black and White Analog Photographers Outing, Print Sharing and Learning Experience

August 18 - 21, 2022, Bethlehem Pennsylvania

The Monalog Collective Monalogfest Photographer’s Outing and Print Sharing, Learning Experience is a chance for black and white analog photographers to meet, make photographs, show their images and communicate what their work is about, gain insights from other like-minded photographers, and participate in demonstrations of silver gelatin, platinum/palladium and carbon transfer printing techniques by Monalog members and noted fine art photographers Jim Fitzgerald, David Haas and Gary Samson. But most of all, the goal is to have a great time with other like-minded photographers! It is also an opportunity for photographers that are not members of Monalog to interact with and learn more about the Monalog Collective.

Monalogfest is limited to 25 participants and will be based in historic Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley, nearby, the cities of Allentown, Nazerath and Easton, the Pocono Mountains, the beautiful countryside of Bucks County and its picturesque towns, as well as the Delaware River and its many small towns. This means that there is an abundance of diverse subject matter to satisfy every photographer. It is easily accessible from Philadelphia, New York City, Allentown, Lehigh Valley and Newark airports. There are a number of local hotels and bed and breakfasts, along with plenty of restaurants in the area.

NOTE: We have reserved a block of rooms at a special rate with a complementary deluxe continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Bethlehem, PA.

We will begin our event with a welcome and group “get to know you” diner at a local restaurant (TBD) on Thursday evening in Bethlehem.

Friday will be devoted to making photographs in the field and having the opportunity to meet with and learn from Monalog member David Haas at his historic Allentown row house dedicated to the production of fine art black and white silver photographs. We will all meet at 8:30am at a central location and then take it from there. No pressure and no expectations. The idea is to be with other photographers, learn from an expert, have fun and be mutually supportive. For those that want to make images, we will have a number of locations scouted out where participants can meet up, or you can go your own way freestyle, as there is no shortage of subject matter to be photographed.

Additionally, the following printing demonstrations and talks will be available on Friday:

Carbon Transfer Printing with Jim Fitzgerald, at David Haas darkroom and studio in nearby Allentown

10:00 – 1pm (up to 8 participants – pre-registration required)

Platinum/Palladium Printing with Gary Samson, at David Haas darkroom and studio in nearby Allentown

2:00pm – 5:00pm (up to 8 participants – pre-registration required)

On Friday evening at 7pm we will meet at the hotel conference room to begin to share work and learn from one and other.

The first group of photographers will be given 30 minutes to present his/her work. Here is how it will work:

Presenting participants can display 10 prints representative of their work, 

The presenter would give a statement about his/her work, vision, focus, etc., discuss their displayed images and what they hope to gain from this experience 

The presenter and other participants would then enter into an interactive discussion about the work.

Total Time 30 minutes

On Saturday we will meet again at 8:30am and then head out for more photographing or have the option to meet with David Haas.

Silver Printing with David Haas, at David’s darkroom and studio in nearby Allentown

9:00am – 12:00am (up to 8 participants – pre-registration required)

At 1pm we will reconvene at the hotel conference room to continue sharing work and learning from one and other.

We will break for dinner and reconvene at 7pm for more participant presentations and discussion.

On Sunday we will meet at the hotel conference room for our final presentation session at 8:30am. Included will be time for participant feedback, thoughts on possible next steps, upcoming events and how to get involved with Monalog.

We will adjourn at 1pm.

Come join us and be part of this exciting Monalog event!

There is a low cost of $50 to attend, so you will want to sign up early to ensure participation in this exciting event.

We look forward to seeing you in August!

For more information contact Michael Marks at:

info@monalogcollective.com or 215-348-9171

Re: Monalog Collective Monalogfest

I sent Michael an e-mail and waiting to hear back. Looks like a great event.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    I sent Michael an e-mail and waiting to hear back. Looks like a great event.
    Thanks for checking in. Michael will get back to you. It will be a great event. Hopefully you can make it. Thanks.

I hope this will be an annual event. I am pretty much all traveled out this year, but would consider next year. Keep up the good work!

-- Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    I hope this will be an annual event. I am pretty much all traveled out this year, but would consider next year. Keep up the good work!

-- Mark
    Mark, it depends on our turn out really. We have a great group with a lot of amazing photographers dedicated to black and white photography. I hope people realize the opportunity this presents. I for one have to weight the cost of travel for a yearly event. Hope you can make it.

We have decided to cancel this year's event. Hopefully we will have something in 2023. Thanks everyone.

Jim,
    This looked like a great event, one I would certainly attend. I look forward to the 2023 event and will look into applying for membership.

Francis Fullam

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    Jim,
    This looked like a great event, one I would certainly attend. I look forward to the 2023 event and will look into applying for membership.

Francis Fullam
    Francis, great. Please email MichaelMarks as he is our founder.

Thanks.