Thread: Older vs newer Fujinon 90mm f8's

Older vs newer Fujinon 90mm f8's

Hey everyone

I'm about to buy a Fujinon 90mm f8 and wondering if there are any noticeable resolution differences between the older single coated and new multi coated versions?

Thanks!

Re: Older vs newer Fujinon 90mm f8's

You are basically asking for a comparison between the NSW 90mm f8 and the earlier SW 90mm f8.

The NSW has EBC coating while the SW does not. This can reduce flare, impact contrast and other factors, but not resolution.

The NSW has a 6/6 design while the SW is 6/4. Fuji literature states that the 6/6 full-air design of the NSW offers better sharpness -- but more resolution?
    Last edited by xkaes; 7-Apr-2022 at 07:54.

I would also add that Fuji lens markings can be incorrect. For example, I have a sample of the SW 90mm that my research leads me to believe it's actually an NSW. Therefore, things can get somewhat tricky when buying, if you're looking for a particular model. If you haven't reviewed the info at: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/, I'd highly recommend starting there. Also, see the info Kerry Thalmann has written regarding Fuji LF lenses.

You have a 90mm f8 SW -- marked inside the filter ring -- that you think is an NSW?

Get the one with a fully functioning shutter and clear, fog and scratch-free elements.

Sorry I should've been a bit more precise with what I was asking.

It is more about if the 6/6 design NSW gives more resolution than the 6/4 design, mentioning the coating was only to identify them. I've read through all the suggested websites already and although there is information on how the lenses have changed, I can't find anything on how this affects picture quality. It seems any older vs newer 90mm threads focus on the coating itself.

The choice on ebay right now is a completely mint looking 6/4, or an other mint 6/6 NSW with some Fuji-itis. I know the Fuji-itis shouldn't affect the image at all but I currently have an NSW with element separation and am a bit wary of any signs of age...please feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by artcorr View Post
    I currently have an NSW with element separation and am a bit wary of any signs of age...please feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid!
    OP, according to this: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm there are three Fujinon NSW lenses, focal lengths 90, 105 and 125 mm, all 6/6. 6/6 means six elements in six groups, i.e., no cemented elements so separations are impossible. Are you sure that your wide angle Fuji lens with separations is an NSW?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    OP, according to this: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm there are three Fujinon NSW lenses, focal lengths 90, 105 and 125 mm, all 6/6. 6/6 means six elements in six groups, i.e., no cemented elements so separations are impossible. Are you sure that your wide angle Fuji lens with separations is an NSW?
    Interesting. I believe it is NSW (writing on the lens barrel), and a camera repair store told me the issue was separations but that must be wrong. Either way, the lens has issues and I need a new one!

If the writing "SW" is on the barrel, it is an "NSW" lens. The "separation" probably is a problem with the coating, haze, fungus, etc., but it really doesn't matter. As you say, just a lens to avoid.

But back to the original question, Fuji says the NSW FULL-AIR design provides sharper images. Does that mean greater contrast, color, resolution -- or a combination of these? Who knows? I've only used the NSW mainly for the EBC coating -- more important in wide-angle lenses.