Thread: Looking for Help on my Americans Project While Traveling Through Parts of the South

Looking for Help on my Americans Project While Traveling Through Parts of the South

I am currently working on a long-term, large format project making portraits of Americans. You can view some of the work on my website in the section entitled What's it Like for You to be an American? www.robertkalmanweb.com During May and June, the next phase of the project will take me to these southern states: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama.

I'm looking to connect with photographers in any of these states who can help guide me in finding suitable locations where I can meet folks and make formal portraits. This is not like a pop up studio arrangement. Rather, I want to be able to set up in locations where I can approach people in the street, get their thoughts about being an American and make their portrait with an 8x10.

My preference is to speak with other photographers directly, and if you think you may be able to help please DM me and I will send you my phone number.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Robert Kalman; 5-Apr-2022 at 06:31. Reason: correction

Re: Looking for Help on my Americans Project While Traveling Through Parts of the Sou

Hi, Robert. I don't know that I can be of help to you, but I admire your work in this project and look forward to perusing your other work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Looking for Help on my Americans Project While Traveling Through Parts of the Sou

I DM'd you, Philip.

Foamer

I've found that if you approach people in settings where they're relaxed such as city parks they tend to be more open.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've found that if you approach people in settings where they're relaxed such as city parks they tend to be more open.

Kent in SD
    Thanks, Kent. That's my experience, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 826257 View Post
    just a southern touchstone: Lucinda Bunnen [RIP]
    Lucinda passed at 92 years. She was born in Katonah, NY, which is two towns away from where I live. Yes, she was a touchstone indeed.

I'm in the opposite direction from you, Robert, but I wish you much luck on this part of your project.

This morning PBS interviewed a female photographer talking about how she keeps in contact with her poor people only project portraits

She maintains update contact for years

Also said she needs a therapist for the load and has one now

I cannot supply the show
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm in the opposite direction from you, Robert, but I wish you much luck on this part of your project.
    Thanks so much, Ari.