Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Books and other educational resources for large format beginners

Re: Books and other educational resources for large format beginners

Deleted a bunch of silly bickering and responses to it, that was getting in the way of those who are trying to be helpful as well as those who are interested in being helped. No more of that, please.

I used all kinds of books to learn since the internet was not available back when I first started. I had some up for sale here but only sold one.
    I guess there are different ways to learn I taught a number of people shooting and darkroom techniques in the past and I always ask them to buy the books by Henry Horenstein read them and use them as a reference.

Add the Kodak book on Large Format photography. Good supplement to AA’s books and Simmons with some nice color images and easy explanations.

I think younger audiences are accustomed to immediate responses from others in the know at sites such as dpreview etc or from a quick google search. It may be difficult for them to justify spending time mining (other than for bitcoin) for info, so we may need to adjust our expectations with patience.

I recall EF Hutton’s motto, “we do it the old fashion way, we earn it”; however this is a nanosecond generation and our sweat and years developing a skill are moot to those who need to adapt quickly and move on. Simply put, many don’t have the time to do research and for many here, we have too much time on our hands, so complaining can become a habit (ask Oren about that .

A Users guide to the "View Camera" by Jim Stone. I used it to learn LF photography. Most of the books I used were/are very easy to use: short paragraphs of easy text explaining the details along with imaging. Also most had index so you could look up exactly what you wanted to know.

I'm a beginner here, and it was hard to find the resources with start information. I only found Adams "The Camera", but it's a good one! Fortunately, I always knew about this resource https://freebooksummary.com/category/never-fall-down, where I can find the answer to each question. Thank you guys for this thread. It's very helpful for me!
    Last edited by albordarion; 22-Apr-2022 at 04:32.