Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 film developing reel/holder/insert for paterson 3 tank

4x5 film developing reel/holder/insert for paterson 3 tank

Made out of sandblasted aluminum (sometimes carbon fiber), and stainless steel rods, these holders fit a standard Paterson 3 tank. They hold 8 sheets of 4x5 film, and need 1 liter of solution. Other configurations (6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 sheets) are possible. The aluminum is conversion coated, to delay oxidation.

$65.- each, including USPS shipping within the contiguous US.
    Payment ideally via Zelle, or Paypal (plus fee)

I've been developing 1000+ sheets with this holder over the years, and have gotten scratch free negatives, even developing, and repeatable results.

Gentle agitation is key, so as not to dislodge the sheets from their position. Some developers, like HC-110 with Kodak B/RA x-ray film, benefit from constant agitation.
    Loading becomes quite easy after a few practice runs.

If you wish to order a reel, direct message me with your PayPal info, and I'll send you a PayPal invoice.

Last edited by radii; 20-Aug-2023 at 03:41.

Re: 4x5 film developing reel/holder/insert for paterson 3 tank

Where do we order? I might be willing to try this. I like how nothing touches the face of the film. I just had a problem with scratches right near the model's face in the center of my negative .

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Where do we order? I might be willing to try this. I like how nothing touches the face of the film. I just had a problem with scratches right near the model's face in the center of my negative .
    I sent you a direct message.

Wow this looks amazing!! Would a slightly larger model work also...say for 5x7? Might not fit a patterson but any open stainless or plastic cylinder would work for me, for dipping/dunking in the dark. Would be great!

I wish 5x7 would work. Certainly not for the Paterson tank.
    Just not enough room.
    I don’t know of any other, widely available, cylindrical tank, that could work as a daylight safe inversion tank.
    I could be persuaded to make a custom unit, if one were to have a suitable enclosure…and appropriate funds

Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    I don’t know of any other, widely available, cylindrical tank, that could work as a daylight safe inversion tank.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003561051823.html

...for me it would not need to be daylight safe - as I tend to use my tanks open. So it could be just about any chemically-inert container with enough height and diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    ...for me it would not need to be daylight safe - as I tend to use my tanks open. So it could be just about any chemically-inert container with enough height and diameter.
    I could be persuaded to make a custom unit, if one were to have a suitable enclosure…and appropriate funds

I have a few daylight tanks

but never use them as I find them ALL difficult with my worn out fingers

use trays one sheet at a time, X-Ray allows you to learn faster under safe light
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    Besides the appropriate funds, I'd need exact inside dimensions of the tank, to start designing and fabrication.