Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What equipment is hard for you to find?

Re: What equipment is hard for you to find?

Hi Barry

First, I try real hard to avoid PM which are like 'Secret Messages' from our childhood, good for selling, but I move to more secure eMail ASAP. We have had outages on LFPF. Especially for money matters. Get emails as needed. Catch 22, you should use PM right after first contact.

2: I want a lever! Whenever!

3: I am working on a simple 14X36" camera, to suit me...

$ I have 125+ sheets of that film. I made tests at my Chicago DR, then moved it all rural. My 14X36 test were enlarged internegatives then put in my backlit windows to see if they faded in a year and for passerby amusement. Busy street.

I am known as NOT ART, TIN CAN and more elsewhere.

not art pisses some artists off, a handle for me 23 years, many wannabees

I plan to Alt Print by contact print, that system is ready

My iPad is whispering to me, first for me

Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    Holy Moly! 14x36??? Wowee!
    Tin Can

From Flutot's website:
    Lastly, Ilex #5's are getting more and more difficult to repair Their parts are failing because of age and replacement parts are hard to find. At this point, Ilex #5's are a 50/50 proposition.

If there are particular parts you can make for these, it would keep alive many valuable lenses like the kodak 305 portrait and big commecial ektar lenses. I don't know enough about shutter repair to suggest which parts need to be made.

Barry Young

Howdy:

My new shop is in a metal building. A metal building in the sun is like an oven. I added a second AC unit two days ago and it was still over 80 degrees inside. The thing weighed over 80 pounds and was installed 14 feet above the floor.

But, it is beginning to get done. Another week or so and I will be able to start wiring for machines.

I will get your levers and Sal's levers done as soon as I can.

Just wanted to touch base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Hi Barry

First, I try real hard to avoid PM which are like 'Secret Messages' from our childhood, good for selling, but I move to more secure eMail ASAP. We have had outages on LFPF. Especially for money matters. Get emails as needed. Catch 22, you should use PM right after first contact.

2: I want a lever! Whenever!

3: I am working on a simple 14X36" camera, to suit me...

$ I have 125+ sheets of that film. I made tests at my Chicago DR, then moved it all rural. My 14X36 test were enlarged internegatives then put in my backlit windows to see if they faded in a year and for passerby amusement. Busy street.

I am known as NOT ART, TIN CAN and more elsewhere.

not art pisses some artists off, a handle for me 23 years, many wannabees

I plan to Alt Print by contact print, that system is ready

My iPad is whispering to me, first for me

Barry Young

Friends:

A huge setback has occurred. It turns out that the home I purchased in Missouri has bugs. So I am currently taking things out of it and preparing for fumigation.

I will keep you in the loop.

Thank you

Barry

Barry Young

Thank you, I will talk to Carol.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    From Flutot's website:
    Lastly, Ilex #5's are getting more and more difficult to repair Their parts are failing because of age and replacement parts are hard to find. At this point, Ilex #5's are a 50/50 proposition.

If there are particular parts you can make for these, it would keep alive many valuable lenses like the kodak 305 portrait and big commecial ektar lenses. I don't know enough about shutter repair to suggest which parts need to be made.

For larger lenses, LUC shutters are nice. But the larger sizes are getting harder to source and sell for allot. It would be great if they could be manufactured again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luc shutter.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	228184

multiplex

I'm looking for an adapter plate that will allow me to use my Empire State ( century ) back on my No. 8 Century, sadly no backs fit on the camera except the exact back that came with the camera. one came up on ebay a few months ago, the first time in 18 years, and I missed it! a friend (cabinet maker) was going to make one for me but he slipped and fell and passed away soon after...
    Last edited by jnantz; 15-Jun-2022 at 16:22.

Barry Young

Thank you for this. As I get farther down this road that may become a possibility. Those prices are spectacular. I guess it has been a while since that was printed. Thanks again.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    For larger lenses, LUC shutters are nice. But the larger sizes are getting harder to source and sell for allot. It would be great if they could be manufactured again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luc shutter.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	228184

Barry Young

Hi jnantz:

Sorry you lost your friend.

Yes, this is something I could do fairly easily. Is there a market to make more than one?

I am not into price gouging, but if there is only demand for one, the price will seem ridiculous. If I can sell 5000 of something, the development, sourcing, inventorying and all the other "ings" are not spread over 5000 customers. They are still expenses I incur however.

So, do you have 4999 friends who also need one of these adapters? Just kidding. If I have material in stock and the design process is not too involved, it only seems ridiculously expensive rather than astronomically to have a custom part designed and fabricated.

Thanks for the request. I will let you guys know here when I am ready to start taking orders.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I'm looking for an adapter plate that will allow me to use my Empire State ( century ) back on my No. 8 Century, sadly no backs fit on the camera except the exact back that came with the camera. one came up on ebay a few months ago, the first time in 18 years, and I missed it! a friend (cabinet maker) was going to make one for me but he slipped and fell and passed away soon after...

Barry Young

All hail the pest control experts who eradicated my new homes bugs.

They heated the entire house to 140 degrees for 8 hours. They started at 8AM and I was unable to sleep until 3AM due to residual heat.

At any rate, that nightmare appears to be over. Now there is just one (of 32) pallets left to unload. The shop is totally trashed as I try to sort all the stuff. The fellows who packed my workshop up in Tacoma WA grabbed a box, put a large item in it, then poured small things like fasteners around them to fill the box.
    The fasteners and stuff were completely sorted by diameter and thread pitch. Now everything has to be sorted and stored. This will take a month or two. Then I need to add wiring to all the machines and get them all up and running, that will take an additional couple of months, then I will be ready. I got the time clock mounted to the wall so that when farmers come and want me to interrupt making cameras, I can punch a time card and tell them my hourly rate which should scare 90 percent of them off.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    Friends:

A huge setback has occurred. It turns out that the home I purchased in Missouri has bugs. So I am currently taking things out of it and preparing for fumigation.

I will keep you in the loop.

Thank you

Barry