Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curtis Color Scout

Re: Curtis Color Scout

My pleasure, Alex. You've done a remarkable job of re-inventing the Curtis.

Best wishes,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    My pleasure, Alex. You've done a remarkable job of re-inventing the Curtis.

Best wishes,
    Scott
    I'm glad to see you here, Scott!
    I was trying to buy a delapidated Devin for another restoration project, but unfortunately mr. Putin started this bloody war and everything (including ebay) is unavaiable anymore here in Russia.
    I wonder, is there any way to speed up film changing? Those glass holders are really a pain to reload.

Hi Alex - the best solution I can think of is to have lots of holders and an assistant to preload them for you. It was typical in the day to carry 18 or so holders in a case.

I might have Devin spare parts for you if you do get hold of one. Let's pray for peace and normalization of relationships.

Wow, just seen this. I've been shooting a ton of tri-colour using my Linhof Techno and a roll film back out in the field, but obviously manually shifting out filters etc rather than one-shot. I love the strange results that technique often results in, but man, I'd LOVE to have a working one-shot camera like this, especially using 4x5".
    Does anyone have any other good links for info on these cameras? Living in New Zealand, I very much doubt there's anything of this nature surviving here to look at let alone restore.

Drew Wiley

Congratulations! What a fun project.

Another common tricolor camera size employed 5X7 film. I've seen quite a few negs of 1940's and early 50's Hollywood celebrities done with 5x7. Both Curtis and Devin were in the tricolor camera business.

At one point during the era of the Dye Transfer Forum there was quite a bit of reconditioning chatter going on between several people restoring these, including Jim Browning. There are all kinds of way they could be reinvented or re-tweaked at a much higher level of performance than originally.

I wasn't aware of the links policy. My apologies.

Two Curtis tri-color one-shot cameras were sold this past week on the popular auction site. Now I see that one more has been listed and by the same seller. It's a 4x5 without a lens. This Curtis camera uses lens boards, so sourcing a suitable lens and making a board is doable. I have no connection with the seller and I'm not promoting their sales, however color cameras appear so infrequently that I like to get the word out for anyone who has an interest.

I could be wrong as to who wrote this, but I think it was Jack Coote, a prominent pioneer in color processes: that not more than 1,000 color cameras of all makes had been manufactured for sale.

Color camera prices vary significantly. I have watched sales for decades and purchased more than 3 dozen of a variety of types and makes over the years. Typically in a year, I will see 5 or so offered for sale via auction sites and auction houses.

The two I mentioned sold for more than I expected, especially the 4x5. They had characteristics that added value - they were the latest and final version Curtis cameras, with multiple lenses and each had one Curtis retrofocus lens, a real rarity. On the other hand, both had mold, the extent of which could not be determined without inspecting in person.

Another issue when shopping for a one-shot camera to actually shoot with, is the condition of the reflectors. With Bermpohl cameras this is rarely an issue because they are made of glass. Pellicle reflectors however are fragile. It's always a shot in the dark as to whether pellicles will be intact and clean enough to use. I have found that no seller has ever been able to assure me that their camera had intact pellicles, that both were present and they were clean and free of mold. If it matters, you need to inspect the camera personally.

With the notable exception of Bermpohl filters, filters will tend to have varying degrees of delamination. I have a few Curtis filters that are perfect, but the remainder of my Curtis, Devin, National Photocolor, Lerochrome , Recekmeier cameras and others, do have separation. Those filters are still usable if you crop.

The most common sizes available are appx. 2x3, 3x4 and 5x7. As Drew Wiley mentioned, 5x7 was common. It was the size preferred for commercial work. 2x3 and 3x4 were considered amateur sizes. 4x5 was really only made by Curtis. He marketed 4x5 to press photographers. My 4x5 Curtis came from a newspaper, and I believe the recently sold 4x5 did as well.

Color cameras for use can be a project, but again, as Drew mentioned, the Dye Transfer forum had discussed restoration. As I recall, Jim Browning described removing the frames from a 5x7 Devin, sending them off to National Photocolor for replacement pellicles, reinstalling then and realigning the camera. I believe this is still an option for those with time on their hands.

By the way, the seller I mentioned has also listed sets of Curtis holders, both film and film pack. The photos show the degree of filter delamination.

Scott