Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG Camera on Wheels Project Doc

BIG Camera on Wheels Project Doc

Right now still in mockup

The handles, wheels and wood will be used

The old camera upper left is heavy and sturdy, definetly, but there will be others

More soon

Big Camera on Wheels by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Matt Alexander

Re: BIG Camera on Wheels Project Doc

Following!
    I have a 14x14 copy camera i'll be working on this summer and need a transport system for it
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Great!

The consensus of LFPF 10 years ago, was throw it out as junk

Very glad I did not, very nice wood and the best bellows I ever saw
    Mine is an 11X14" LEVY I have adapted 4X5, 5X7, 8X10 Calumet backs. I have 2 OE Copy backs for up up 11X14. I once shot it with bigger, 10X16 with 2 sheets

One time I made a wood front extension for 790 mm lens with 3 NIKON strobes mounted on it

All great learning opportunities

I may adapt to 14X17 as I have plenty of that in X-Ray

I documented in DIY thread long ago, pics still there somewhere

IF I find them I will link to here

Quote Originally Posted by malexand View Post
    Following!
    I have a 14x14 copy camera i'll be working on this summer and need a transport system for it
    Tin Can

I had one on wheels once. It was roughly 20x24 inch ground glass if I remember correctly. I really only wanted the 19 inch red dot Artar it came with but I had to take all or nothing. I traded it to a wet plater I think back east for an 11x14 camera I could use. It was a masterpiece of wood working and was smooth to operate. My only use for it could be a coffee table or coffin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F539B9B1-0A34-4A22-8655-D944772AE157.jpeg   6CF25041-A306-4E9C-A8AE-213FBF7D2B8C.jpeg   03EC596B-6587-4051-9631-B7B4E3B3047F.jpg  

Wow!!

Looks very promising - with such large wheels, there should be a lot of places you can go. Look forward to what you learn in putting the final version of this together and the work you will be able to make

I wonder whether an ambulance stretcher would make it possible to move the 14x14 Deardorff copy camera in/out of my Subaru hatchback... Even has a tilt!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobi-3g-aluminum-alloy-stretcher.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	226097

All Subaru are small inside, I tested the bigger ones by laying down in some at the dealer, I rented 1 too

Then I bought a F150 long bed

Try Deer Carts

Quote Originally Posted by slerman View Post
    I wonder whether an ambulance stretcher would make it possible to move the 14x14 Deardorff copy camera in/out of my Subaru hatchback... Even has a tilt!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobi-3g-aluminum-alloy-stretcher.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	226097
    Tin Can

Years agi I was able to view the private collection of a member of a cmera collectors club. Lots of great stuff in custome built-in cabinets. Right in the middle of the floor , on camera stands were TWO cameras similar to the camera in this thread. I blinked and had mental flashes of The Guns of Naverone.

Later, I told the owner that I had access to large sheets of film through the CT clinic dark room where I worked . . .and the automatic film processor for them. He looked blank for a moment, then it began to dawn on him that I meant to actually take pictures with his prized beasts. He broke out in a cold sweat and looked like he was going into a panic attack. I backed off and never mentioned it again.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Years agi I was able to view the private collection of a member of a cmera collectors club. Lots of great stuff in custome built-in cabinets. Right in the middle of the floor , on camera stands were TWO cameras similar to the camera in this thread. I blinked and had mental flashes of The Guns of Naverone.

Later, I told the owner that I had access to large sheets of film through the CT clinic dark room where I worked . . .and the automatic film processor for them. He looked blank for a moment, then it began to dawn on him that I meant to actually take pictures with his prized beasts. He broke out in a cold sweat and looked like he was going into a panic attack. I backed off and never mentioned it again.
    In the 1980s I was visiting a friend who owned a camera store in my hometown. In the store he had on display a beautiful 11x14" Improved Empire State view camera (I think circa 1910), film holders, and a classic brass lens. I would have had to rate it all in mint condition, having been used but probably only a few times. I mentioned that I had some 11x14" film and I would love to borrow the equipment to shoot some negatives. He said something like "You want to take the camera outside!!!" Years later the store closed. I tried to find out what happened to that camera, but to no avail.