Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using a Zone VI enlarger for 5x7, or other alternatives?

Re: Using a Zone VI enlarger for 5x7, or other alternatives?

All the details of the Zone VI notwithstanding, I think my choice of 5x7 enlarger, would depend on what i could find locally. I was lucky enough to find a Durst 138 which has served me well. Shipping will kill you, if you're looking for a reasonably priced enlarger....

I knew someone who had a Zone VI (Type I). At first, he used it exclusively for 4x5; He later began doing some 5x7 work and quickly discovered that he couldn't get the edges.
    I remember that he also complained that the enlarger was prone to vibrations: when he raised or lowered the head he had to wait for the vibrations to subside (mumbling expletives all-the while).

He ditched the enlarger and got a Durst 138 with an Aristo Cold Light. He didn't consider the Zone VIType II which was still available new - he had lost confidence in the design.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I believe that the blue and the green have internal circuitry that controls each color independently. So, they each have their own sensor. Connecting a compensating timer links the timer to a third sensor that helps compensate for temperature changes, electrical fluctuations, etc.
    The compensating timer connects to a photocell that compensates for light output. The ratio of the two tubes is controlled by the Zone VI box. I absolutely love these enlargers, split printing is easy. You need a compensating timer either the original Zone VI or a Metrolux II etc.

The only reason that I could have for switching to a LED light source would be to print color.

I got these enlargers from a guy who wanted them gone at the bottom of the market and I had to drive a 4 hour round trip, fun! (Got 3 Rodagons too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    My 2 Elwood on a 'pedestal' are ART DECO with Swan Neck

The Wall mount 5X7 Elwood uses the same parts but without the lovely Swan Neck

The moment I saw one in a Detroit Basement it was love at first sight

Yes function followed form, but art is art

I have 2 5X7 Elwood running

I could almost run with either as they are delecatl made of cast aluminum

The 8X10 cast iron one gave me a hernia
    I agree 100%. Beautiful aluminum. I carried an 8x10 down to my darkroom by myself, yes it's a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I knew someone who had a Zone VI (Type I). At first, he used it exclusively for 4x5; He later began doing some 5x7 work and quickly discovered that he couldn't get the edges.
    I remember that he also complained that the enlarger was prone to vibrations: when he raised or lowered the head he had to wait for the vibrations to subside (mumbling expletives all-the while).

He ditched the enlarger and got a Durst 138 with an Aristo Cold Light. He didn't consider the Zone VIType II which was still available new - he had lost confidence in the design.
    Mine are lag screwed to a 2x12 plate let into 3 studs in a wall that is attached to the concrete floor no vibrations. You can run wires to the top of the column with turn buckles if you desire. It's as stable as the house.

IMO, Durst 138 or DeVere for 5x7 or 13x18cm. Properly set up and in proper condition these enlargers are simply nice to use, reliable, durable and has ever capability to aid the printer to produce GOOD prints. To believe or think a smaller "table top" enlarger serves well for this sheet film size will reveal trade-offs and limitations specific to any table top enlarger. These capability limitations might not be apparent for those learning to print or have not done serious print making, as the printing skills, demands and expectations grow, lesser enlarger systems reveal their limitations which makes GOOD prints more challenging ala difficult.

5x7 _ 13x18cm enlargers points back to sheet film camera (view camera) format size along with the availability of high quality fiber based B&W paper sizes (typically no larger than 20"x24"). If these factors are considered, illustrates why 5x7 _ 13x18cm is such a good a practical sheet film format in so many ways.

There was a time not too long ago when SO many of these excellent enlargers (Durst, DeVere) were shoved into the dumpster-land fill as print making labs went under. This does bring up the question of how many of these excellent enlargers are in service today and where do they live?

Once into 8x10, a proper enlarger and supporting projection print making facility grows by lots, unless print making is limited to contact printing.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    IMO, Durst 138 or DeVere for 5x7 or 13x18cm. Properly set up and in proper condition these enlargers are simply nice to use, reliable, durable and has ever capability to aid the printer to produce GOOD prints. To believe or think a smaller "table top" enlarger serves well for this sheet film size will reveal trade-offs and limitations specific to any table top enlarger. These capability limitations might not be apparent for those learning to print or have not done serious print making, as the printing skills, demands and expectations grow, lesser enlarger systems reveal their limitations which makes GOOD prints more challenging ala difficult.

5x7 _ 13x18cm enlargers points back to sheet film camera (view camera) format size along with the availability of high quality fiber based B&W paper sizes (typically no larger than 20"x24"). If these factors are considered, illustrates why 5x7 _ 13x18cm is such a good a practical sheet film format in so many ways.

There was a time not too long ago when SO many of these excellent enlargers (Durst, DeVere) were shoved into the dumpster-land fill as print making labs went under. This does bring up the question of how many of these excellent enlargers are in service today and where do they live?

Once into 8x10, a proper enlarger and supporting projection print making facility grows by lots, unless print making is limited to contact printing.

Bernice
    Zone VI enlargers aren't really a table top model. I mounted mine into a wall, you need approximately 6 feet above the easel. I would love to have a enlarger with a built in table like the Durst. I wouldn't trade my Zone VI units for a behemoth, but it's just me, I'm decidedly not a professional working everyday. The elevation tracks on the Zone VI are plastic, this would be the best reason I know to avoid, add no supply of lensboards (I had some made), rare parts etc.

A Durst 138 is bullet proof, no surprises

Pretty easy to install a cold light or even LED head on an Elwood. At the same time you could put in a filter drawer for VC paper. But if you are used to a Durst you might not be happy.

How can you tell a Zone VI Type II enlarger form a type I? A friend of mine has one and hasn't been able to determine which model he has.

The focussing mechanism of the type two employs 2 chromed rails - attached to the lens stage and running up through the top. The type one employs but a single rail. Don't have a picture but its very easy to tell immediately by either one or two vertical chromed rails.