Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is fiber paper worth the additional cost for selling prints compared to rc paper?

Re: Is fiber paper worth the additional cost for selling prints compared to rc paper?

You need to establish what you like best in terms of results, knowing that from then on it would be unlikely for you to put your best efforts forward were you to then use the "lesser" of these choices. Just sayin'!

Aside from the above, if you want to sell prints...you will need to embrace archival methods for whatever material you use. As far as I know, the state of the art regarding keeping qualities would favor Fiber over RC papers...but only if you are very thorough in your methodology. In other words, an RC print is easier to "clean" to its own maximum keeping standard, while to properly/thoroughly wash a fiber print is more difficult and time consuming - but the fiber print will last longer, all else being equal.

From a sales standpoint...depending on your choice of venue(s), you may very well find yourself being quite thoroughly grilled by a knowledgeable prospective buyer about the archival properties of your prints - and if you cannot give assurances here (with the proviso that the buyer also has responsibilities going forward, environment-wise) then you may lose that sale. Kind of a PITA...but there it is.

Re: Is fiber paper worth the additional cost for selling prints compared to rc paper?

I'm fine with RC paper - for my printing I use almost entirely RC at this point. But there's no way for me to know what your buyers will want.

But you should know that untreated RC prints are highly vulnerable to deterioration when they're framed and on display. Read chapter 12 of Ctein's Post Exposure book:

https://ctein.com/booksmpl.htm

So if you are going to sell RC prints, I strongly recommend using a protective post-treatment. I selenium tone all of my RC "keepers". Because RC washes so easily, it's not a huge workflow burden - much less of a hassle than it is with FB papers. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I only used RC for quickie commercial applications headed to the printing press. You can't decently drymount them, or present them well except in small sizes.
    For what it's worth, I haven't had problems dry mounting 48" (short side) RC prints in my Seal 500T with Seal Colormount. The color photo murals are all RC, but I've dry mounted large paper maps, etc., as well. And with B&W photo murals, the RC paper is more rigid and easier to handle. The largest fiber-based paper I've used is 20x24, and RC wins hands-down for me in large sizes.

Some people don't like the feel of RC paper. When the print is behind glass, you can't feel it. The question is can you tell a difference?

I've been collecting prints for 30+ years from well known and lesser known artists. I would not consider a print not printed on anything but fiber except when I'm supporting a very small startup artist. There are certain costs that don't make sense to cut and fiber versus RC is one of them on final high-quality prints. Just my thoughts...

Brian

Drew Wiley

Yeah it can be done, but RC paper, either color or b&w, exhibits miserable "orangepeel" when drymounted, and often unevenness of sheen afterwards due to the heat, even if you use the recommended silicone release boards. It really needs to be pressure sensitive mounted, which is a dicey thing to do in large sizes without special roller equipment (which I do have). At least really big fiber-based prints can be wet-mounted with care, analogously to wallpaper hanging using simple glues like Seal Vacu-Mount or Daige's equivalent.

Otherwise, can I tell the difference behind glass? Yep, in a heartbeat. But people are always free to follow their own preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    (how come 'puters don't have the cent sign?)
    Hold down the Alt key and type 0162.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

-- AFTER you first press the NUM LOCK key.

"orangepeel"? I've never had that problem or any other -- even with dry mounted prints decades old. Guess I'm just lucky.

How many prints make money?

Almost all humans want it on a screen

Sure some very wealthy will pay...or not

We need a survey!

I am not that guy

I only give Art away

Seldom
    Tin Can

RC is a non-starter for selling prints. Buyers expect the longevity of an archivally-fixed and washed fiber print. Also, I don't think you can properly spot (as in touch-up) an RC print.