Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just in case I win the lottery...

Re: Just in case I win the lottery...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Last time I tried carrying a big watermelon with me onto the plane, the TSA security line stopped me and at it themselves. Best to Fedex your watermelon directly to your end destination instead. I did have a backpacking pal in my youth somewhat older than me - a big feller - who pulled a medium watermelon plus two cantaloupes out of his pack, plus fresh zucchini and a side of ham, when we got to Cora Lakes up there on the Granite Creek bench, not to mention a true cast iron frying pan plus axe for firewood. Old school.
    Granite Creek would be a perfect place to chill a watermelon, and some beer, too, just as long as a bear doesn't find it
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Hmmm .... never even seen a bear around there. Once when I followed the stream itself the whole way back down from the divide rather than the trail, with a lot of downfall involved, encountered the largest coyote I've even seen in my life trying to take down a huge mule deer all by itself. I do know that a Sasquatch sure scared some 4-wheelers out of a back road along Granite Creek one summer ... heh, heh.

Last time I was over the top around the Harriet Lake bench about 6 yrs ago, no people around anywhere, but lots of fresh bighorn sign, so they're reclaiming some of their former territory. Lots of obsidian chips laying around from ancient bighorn hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hmmm .... never even seen a bear around there. Once when I followed the stream itself the whole way back down from the divide rather than the trail, with a lot of downfall involved, encountered the largest coyote I've even seen in my life trying to take down a huge mule deer all by itself. I do know that a Sasquatch sure scared some 4-wheelers out of a back road along Granite Creek one summer ... heh, heh.

Last time I was over the top around the Harriet Lake bench about 6 yrs ago, no people around anywhere, but lots of fresh bighorn sign, so they're reclaiming some of their former territory. Lots of obsidian chips laying around from ancient bighorn hunters.
    IIRC the rangers in YNP used to chauffer severely anti-social bears from Yosemite Valley into the Granite Creek area in hopes that a near sighted deer hunter would mistake one for a buck before it could beat the bear chariot (a piece of steel culvert on wheels) back to Yosemite Valley. I've seen a bear hanging around the trailhead scoping out a camper, but that was years ago, LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Well, those were sure some rich fat bears if they could afford a chauffeur. Wonder what UBER would have charged em for the drive? But then again, the ride might be a bit cramped. Them wahr some big garbage-addicted bears, and were no doubt more comfortable in a Limo. The road past Clover Mdw was awfully rutted, however. That particular area was basically the main waystation for tribes commuting over Mammoth Pass, for at least 12,000 years, probably longer. And later Mono Indians had a set of caves or rock-shelters somewhere on the Shuteye massif to spend the previous night - that's where the name Shuteye came from.

I wonder what happened to the old bear chariot? The last time I was in the valley I saw a new one made from custom welded steel plate, sort of like a huge Hav-A-Heart trap with a suspension system---a deluxe ride for sure!

Drew Wiley

Well, some of the bears actually traversed the Valley during the drought, following canals etc, and are beginning to turn up in burbs on this side - Tracy swimming pools, quite a few at the edge of wine country in back yards and fields. None right around here. We now get a number of bird species previously never seen this far west. Everything is getting mixed up by all this climate change. All the low-rider bears migrated to LA of course. Most of the naughty Yosemite bears got deported to the mountains above LA, and instantly became cabin burglars, and have also taken over swimming pools down below. Probably play loud music too.

One of my favorite bands from Drew's neck of the woods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNox7kkXRc

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    One of my favorite bands from Drew's neck of the woods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNox7kkXRc
    Why didn't the lyrics include filling up the gas tank?

Drew Wiley

One of the last buildings still standing from the old SJ&E narrow gauge RR camps was the Moose Lodge. It attracted the worst teenage band conceivable. A schoolmate of mine who lived even further into the canyon was born with severe artery disease and not expected to live past his teen years, so was allowed to do anything his wished with no expectations. So he became the world's worst rock guitarist, but enjoyed it. Last I heard, he is still going and has quite a few grandchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ...and so be able to afford a tank of gas, we might take a road trip to visit my son in Salt Lake City.
    There's plenty to photograph on the way of course, so I won't trouble you by asking about landscape suggestions.
    What I'd like to know is where to find watermelon when it's in season.https://loteriasdehoycolombia.co/
    I've travelled cross Utah several times and it seems like there is a sizeable roadside watermelon stand thing going on there.
    I've often thought it might make for an interesting photo project using my "stealth" 5x7 Speed Graphic to capture the elusive roadside watermelon stand in it's native surroundings.
    We'll probably travel I-80 from the West(not much going on but desert there) and I-15 from the South(lots of farms and ranching going on there!)
    I'm hoping some adventurous LF photographer here might have some recommendations on productive roadside watermelon emporium hunting grounds in Utah.
    As you travel through rural areas, keep an eye out for small, unassuming roadside stands or makeshift stalls. Watermelon stands are often set up along scenic routes, especially in regions known for watermelon production.