Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just in case I win the lottery...

Just in case I win the lottery...

...and so be able to afford a tank of gas, we might take a road trip to visit my son in Salt Lake City.
    There's plenty to photograph on the way of course, so I won't trouble you by asking about landscape suggestions.
    What I'd like to know is where to find watermelon when it's in season.
    I've travelled cross Utah several times and it seems like there is a sizeable roadside watermelon stand thing going on there.
    I've often thought it might make for an interesting photo project using my "stealth" 5x7 Speed Graphic to capture the elusive roadside watermelon stand in it's native surroundings.
    We'll probably travel I-80 from the West(not much going on but desert there) and I-15 from the South(lots of farms and ranching going on there!)
    I'm hoping some adventurous LF photographer here might have some recommendations on productive roadside watermelon emporium hunting grounds in Utah.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Just in case I win the lottery...

I'm not sure I understand because I-80 runs right into SLC.

If you are asking where to go from SLC, I'd advise against I-15. Take Utah 89 southward instead. You can get back to I-80 to go home by going through Nevada, by-way-of Great Basin National Park, another good place for pictures.

Drew Wiley

You live in Clovis or Fresno, or whatever, and don't know where to get a watermelon? Why not a drippy faucet in your own backyard? I hate 80 direct versus alternate "scenic" routes. But last time I was in a hurry headed to the Wind River Range in Wyoming for a backpack, and wanted to cross that long hot salt pan of Great Salt Lake in the evening when it was cooler. My hiking companion needed to pee, so I pulled over at the nearest wide spot on the causeway, with no car headlights in sight at that moment. Then I looked over my shoulder, and the most incredible full moon rising right above stunning clouds, all reflected in the salt flats itself, along with the salt pools adjacent to the highway.
    No time to set up the 4x5, unfortunately, so grabbed my 6X7 and placed it on the tripod instead, and bagged a real classic. You just never know.

But on the way back, yeah, a stopover up on Wheeler Peak in Great Basin NP. The highest campground has gotten crowded; but the middle one, wonderful camping spots in the aspens right alongside the creek. Great views too. Then Hwy 50 back, some nice pictograph etc shots, continuing to at least the turnoff on another minor hwy headed to Bridgeport, and from there to another nite spent atop Sonora Pass. Nevada can be sheer magic when clouds are present. The old mining towns on Hwy 50 are interesting, especially Austin.
    But that Salt Lake corridor itself - still a horrible freeway construction mess. I generally head north and up Ogden Canyon, over lovely Monte Cristo Pass with its aspens and good camping, and then down into Wyoming near Fossil Beds Natl Monument. But someday, if it's not too hot or smoggy, it might be interesting to explore some of the eastern side of Great Salt Lake - Golden Spike and Antelope Island etc. The lonely alternate paved highway around the northern end of the lake is always interesting; just be well gassed up before you start across there!

I think Green River, UT (on I-70) is famous for some kind of melons...

And if you're headed in that direction, just drive another hundred miles to get some peaches in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Drew Wiley

Yeah, great idea... Green River is just an 8 hour round trip detour from Salt Lake City. Almost to Grand Junction.

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Did you take any photos?

Quote Originally Posted by albordarion View Post
    Did you take any photos?
    Haven't left yet, it's not watermelon season & I didn't win the lottery

Drew Wiley

Last time I tried carrying a big watermelon with me onto the plane, the TSA security line stopped me and at it themselves. Best to Fedex your watermelon directly to your end destination instead. I did have a backpacking pal in my youth somewhat older than me - a big feller - who pulled a medium watermelon plus two cantaloupes out of his pack, plus fresh zucchini and a side of ham, when we got to Cora Lakes up there on the Granite Creek bench, not to mention a true cast iron frying pan plus axe for firewood. Old school.