Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are print drums a more practical way to print big in a bathroom?

Question Are print drums a more practical way to print big in a bathroom?

My enlarger can handle 11 x 14 prints from 35m up to 6x7. The problem is that I can't fit several 11x14 trays in my space in any configuration. However, maybe I could use a single drum. I just now thought of this, so I have to do more research later. I figured some of you might have experience with this already.

Would this be an easy way to achieve my goal?

I'd probably have to stick to RC paper for this size because washing would become a nightmare.

Re: Are print drums a more practical way to print big in a bathroom?

Years ago I processed prints up to 16x20 in the old Cibachrome drums. I would say that your idea is quite workable to 11x14. If you have a drum roller base, all the better; if not, a flat surface with enough room to roll the drum back adn forth a bit more than a full rotation. RC is definitely the way to go, though you should be aware that washing in the drum will not clean the chemistry from the back of the print well. Someone else may have a better solution, but I would suggest some kind of narrow tub or tray that you can rinse the print in, dipping side to side as in handling a Slinky spring toy, or getting an inexpensive tray large enough for your prints that you can fill, slosh, and dump, if necessary at the bathtub or kitchen sink. I had to wash my prints for many years in a plastic tub in the bathtub.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Yes. I believe that would be a good solution. Even if you had the space, the only disadvantage to the drums would that you cannot see the magic of the image appearing as it develops. You can wash a print in a tray through dumping and refilling. This need not be in a sink, a countertop may do. Look at the Paterson RC wash trays which drain through a hose.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Some stack trays with space to work vertically
    Tin Can

vertical tanks are an option too.

Have you considered a NOVA vertical slot processor.

Instead of 3 horizontal trays, there are 3 (B&W) or 4 (colour) vertical slots for you to hold dev/stop/fix.

Designed specifically for those who can only print in small spaces.

You could then wash your prints either in a bath tub or shower tray - outside your darkroom if needs must.

Good luck.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Have you considered a NOVA vertical slot processor.

Instead of 3 horizontal trays, there are 3 (B&W) or 4 (colour) vertical slots for you to hold dev/stop/fix.

Designed specifically for those who can only print in small spaces.

You could then wash your prints either in a bath tub or shower tray - outside your darkroom if needs must.

Good luck.

Martin
    Thanks, I'm waiting for the new one to come out. I see 11x14 drums for under $80 so I might take the plunge. Doing a little research on the "best" designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Some stack trays with space to work vertically
    That's true...I don't have enough room for that either! Well, I suppose I could but I think it would be too awkward to get in and out of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    Yes. I believe that would be a good solution. Even if you had the space, the only disadvantage to the drums would that you cannot see the magic of the image appearing as it develops. You can wash a print in a tray through dumping and refilling. This need not be in a sink, a countertop may do. Look at the Paterson RC wash trays which drain through a hose.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Years ago I processed prints up to 16x20 in the old Cibachrome drums. I would say that your idea is quite workable to 11x14. If you have a drum roller base, all the better; if not, a flat surface with enough room to roll the drum back adn forth a bit more than a full rotation. RC is definitely the way to go, though you should be aware that washing in the drum will not clean the chemistry from the back of the print well. Someone else may have a better solution, but I would suggest some kind of narrow tub or tray that you can rinse the print in, dipping side to side as in handling a Slinky spring toy, or getting an inexpensive tray large enough for your prints that you can fill, slosh, and dump, if necessary at the bathtub or kitchen sink. I had to wash my prints for many years in a plastic tub in the bathtub.
    Thank you! I think I'll go for this. I wash 8x10 in a try right now. I'd love to do 11 x 14 fiber but washing multiple 8x10s is a already a pain with a tray.