Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are print drums a more practical way to print big in a bathroom?

Re: Are print drums a more practical way to print big in a bathroom?

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone! I'm reading everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Hmmmmmmm. Interesting point here, thanks. I have to think about this. It could make things a chore but I get to see the development!

I have a quick question for anyone reading. How much chemistry does it take to fill 11x14 trays on average? My guess is that 1000mL might not be enough. I use 8x10 Patterson trays.
    1000mL is what I use in 11x14 trays, just right IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gnd2 View Post
    1000mL is what I use in 11x14 trays, just right IMO.
    Oh sweet!

I have a lot of sink space, 10 foot and 8 foot sinks. Still not long enough for the 5 or more trays to process big black and white prints from beginning to end when toning etc. I have a couple nice apx 3 gallon plastic pails. I use a single tray and dump solutions in and out of the tray. I do a quick wash in the tray, then tone etc. If I'm doing a few prints (fiber) I part the completed prints in a tray or other container of water until a thorough final wash.
    Print drums work great. Just have a lot of drums, or clean drying towels or both I don't enjoy the clean up after with these tubes.

If doing black and white rc prints a single tray works great, follow Ilford instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    I have a quick question for anyone reading. How much chemistry does it take to fill 11x14 trays on average? My guess is that 1000mL might not be enough. I use 8x10 Patterson trays.
    Drums use 10% or less of what trays use -- PLUS each print gets fresh chemicals. Two ounces for an 8x10, four for an 11x14, eight for a 16x20, etc. Trays = money down the drain.

I have printed B/W in small bathrooms with a bathtub many times with a simple trick...

Along the long dimension of tub, cut 2 or 3 pieces of 2X4 lumber that forms a shelf at least 3 trays can rest solidly on (a good idea to coat the lumber with a sealant)... On the floor of the tub can be one or two other trays for washing or print hold FB pre-final wash... The lumber shelf can be later removed and usually stored in some corner or along wall on floor...

The next bottleneck will be drying those wet prints, but several options...

Possible...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Drums use 10% or less of what trays use -- PLUS each print gets fresh chemicals. Two ounces for an 8x10, four for an 11x14, eight for a 16x20, etc. Trays = money down the drain.
    Very good points.

But trays will usually do 10 or a dozen prints, so works out the same-ish...

And if processing FB, wet prints will not stay in place in drum, and require just sitting still after image first forms in tray...

Steve K

In a tray you do multiple prints in 1 or 2 liters (1L = 33ounces) and can use working strength solutions over multiple days/sessions. 1 Liter can generally be used for 40 8x10 prints, so your 2oz x 40prints requires 80ounces vs 33ounces. It. may be more convenient for an infrequent printer if just making a few prints but I would fill the tube vs using minimal chemicals for paper.

Stack or even staggered trays on risers are a good way to go. I even have used a plastic cart with 3 drawers + big bin for washing. A small card table will also hold 4 11x14 trays in a small space and you can hacksaw the legs to fit two in the tub with a slight slant toward the tub for spillage.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Exactly, I have floating tanks to reuse chems, always ready and at correct temp sitting in my sink

This 2oz wet dream works...

But chemistry must be carefully applied in a plastic machine or more plastic tubes....leaks

I do use ARKAY Poly chemistry tanks like this https://www.adorama.com/pest5g.html?...ce=adl-gbase-p

All those tube are becoming very rare as are the 2-1/2 gallon tanks

B&H is out of stock, but I got my best deals with ADORAMA

A Plastic Paper safe IS handy!

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinf...tion_New-Items
    Tin Can