Thread: Need a glue suggestion

Need a glue suggestion

The viewfinder for my GX617, in this case, the 300mm viewfinder uses a piece of film that is glued to a metal bracket to show the image area and also what viewfinder it is. The glue on mine failed and I need to glue it back to the metal cage. The "film" part seems to be similar to photographic film of some kind, but I'm unsure what kind of glue I should use. Maybe contact cement? Someting better? The glue needs to be fairly slow drying because I have to align the film with the alignment circles so I will need to wiggle it around for a bit. What I thought were alignment holes that I could maybe stick a small wire to help align are just clear circles on the graphic, but I could shine a light up and use that for alignment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300mm.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	225678

Re: Need a glue suggestion

I'd try Rubber cement or Plio-Bond. Contact cement is more permanent. It any case, use less glue not more.

The proper use of a contact cement entails applying this adhesive to both contact surfaces and allowing a bit of time for this adhesive to become "tacky" prior to very carefully aligning the pieces in question as they are brought into actual contact. I say "very carefully" because once actual contact is made, very little further alignment is allowed.

So my suggestion would be to use something which would allow (as the OP has suggested) for a bit of post contact position if needed. Perhaps a very small amount of five-minute epoxy would allow for a good balance of thinness of application, post assembly positioning, and drying time. Just be careful not to smear any epoxy where you don't want it!

Another idea, for something that would likely work as long as the contact surfaces are adequate, would be a bit of ATG tape...the kind used in photo matting applications. ATG is available as "permanent" or "removable," and would likely do the trick - but possibly without the permanence of something like an epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    The viewfinder for my GX617, in this case, the 300mm viewfinder uses a piece of film that is glued to a metal bracket to show the image area and also what viewfinder it is. The glue on mine failed and I need to glue it back to the metal cage. The "film" part seems to be similar to photographic film of some kind, but I'm unsure what kind of glue I should use. Maybe contact cement? Someting better? The glue needs to be fairly slow drying because I have to align the film with the alignment circles so I will need to wiggle it around for a bit. What I thought were alignment holes that I could maybe stick a small wire to help align are just clear circles on the graphic, but I could shine a light up and use that for alignment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300mm.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	225678
    How about just using a Super Glue but in a Gel form? Gorilla and other brand sell it. It's thick enough not to migrate everywhere like regular thin super glue and it doesn't dry THAT quickly. You would easily have time to line things up and then just hold it in place for a minute or so and done.

I got it glued back, used some natural ph book binding glue.

Glad you have it glued but two things.
    First, super glues, of any type will out gas up and leave a film on your optics glass or especially plastic.

What else they will cost with this material is an open question but I and others have reported the issue in several forums.

Secondly, if you are no sure of your choices of glue for projects, I suggest using self blended shellac from flakes.

This material is available on n many colours/grades and is compounded with alcohol.

I like and use 195 proof Everclear liquor for it's non-toxic properties vs. denatured alcohol, and either will resolve in more alcohol I'd mistakes or fixes need adjustment.

Just something to keep in mind, for future projects.