Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a Durst Laborator 1200 with a VLS 501 head a usable enlarger?

Re: Is a Durst Laborator 1200 with a VLS 501 head a usable enlarger?

I want to emphasize platypus's advice above. Always have the carriage at the TOP of the column before removing the head. I learned this the hard way. I have two L1200s, one condenser, the other with Multigrade head. When giving them a cleanup on bringing them home, I removed the head of one of them with the carriage locked around the mid point of the column. For some reason I released the carriage whilst my fingers were holding the top plate of the column. The carriage shot up with incredible speed and force and jammed two fingers on my left hand. Somehow I was able to summon enough strength to pull the carriage down one-handed, which was no mean feat with the other hand seriously jammed. Fortunately there was no bone damage, but my fingers were swollen for a week. Those roll springs are incredibly strong! Good luck with your new L1200, they are beautiful enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    I want to emphasize platypus's advice above. Always have the carriage at the TOP of the column before removing the head.
    And I'll re-emphasise this too. Tensator/ constant force springs are not to be trifled with. On the other hand, once run to the top of the column & dismounted from the baseboard, the L1200 column is not terribly heavy or awkward to move.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    And I'll re-emphasise this too. Tensator/ constant force springs are not to be trifled with. On the other hand, once run to the top of the column & dismounted from the baseboard, the L1200 column is not terribly heavy or awkward to move.
    Well that is exactly what we did. Run it to the top, wrapped it in loads of bubble wrap, and dismounted it from the baseboard. Worked fine. 500 miles later

But my, sort of large, isn't it? Or should I say high. Don't know if it will fit with my ceiling height. But that is a future problem.
    Condition was absolutely pristine, and everything was there for 35. medium and large format. Bought in 99 by a professional commercial photographer, used for a year or so before he converted to digital, and then standing in a disused darkroom for over 20 years. Don't think the door was ever opened during that time.

Thanks again for all the advise!
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    But my, sort of large, isn't it? Or should I say high. Don't know if it will fit with my ceiling height.
    The column needs about 136cm height - and the whole machine about 166cm - but it depends a lot on the maximum print size you want to make - if you are only going to 40x50cm, you can essentially get away with enough clearance for the column. Good to hear that moving the L1200 was otherwise painless.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The column needs about 136cm height - and the whole machine about 166cm - but it depends a lot on the maximum print size you want to make - if you are only going to 40x50cm, you can essentially get away with enough clearance for the column. Good to hear that moving the L1200 was otherwise painless.
    To start with I thought of 24x30 or at most 30x40. Going larger I just have to scan and print, as I already do.
    Thing is that my upper floor only has 195 cm in ceiling height so I anyway have to build a low table to accommodate it. And a darkroom around it, lol, since it won't fit in the bathroom as I had hoped.
    Well well, this is perhaps not the most well planed purchase in history, but the auction just was to good to resist.
    I'll find a way
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

I don’t understand when people write of low ceilings as that would only be an issue with free standing enlargers. Certainly no one has a darkroom with ceilings lower than 166 cm

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I don’t understand when people write of low ceilings as that would only be an issue with free standing enlargers. Certainly no one has a darkroom with ceilings lower than 166 cm
    My first darkroom at home was under the stairs!

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    To start with I thought of 24x30 or at most 30x40. Going larger I just have to scan and print, as I already do.
    Thing is that my upper floor only has 195 cm in ceiling height so I anyway have to build a low table to accommodate it. And a darkroom around it, lol, since it won't fit in the bathroom as I had hoped.
    Well well, this is perhaps not the most well planed purchase in history, but the auction just was to good to resist.
    I'll find a way
    I'd reckon that building a setup/ bench where the baseboard is setup maybe 30cm off the floor, but with side/ back panels on the bench that go up higher with slots to take an extra baseboard at around 70cm off the floor - and maybe an intermediate stop at 50cm too - would resolve this awkward space issue. A bit like a slightly inverse variant of drop tables that have been built over the years - but instead of the base of the column being at the top of the drop table with a drop baseboard, you'll have the baseboard/ column sitting at the base & an effective rising baseboard. Depending on lens choice, you'll probably want somewhere in the 70-90cm range between baseboard/ easel and neg stage for the print sizes you mention. The less rational option would be to get a spare L1200 column and get 35cm machined off the top & redrill/ tap the tensator spring mounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In some cases, free-standing drop-baseboard machines are easier (because you can freely drop the baseboard without having to fiddle around with awkward bench height calculations) - as long as the column goes under the ceiling and you don't need/ want to raise the head to the maximum height. And if it's a De Vere type operation interface (or you have power operation of head rise/ focus) you can operate quite comfortably sitting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    I want to emphasize platypus's advice above. Always have the carriage at the TOP of the column before removing the head. I learned this the hard way. I have two L1200s, one condenser, the other with Multigrade head. When giving them a cleanup on bringing them home, I removed the head of one of them with the carriage locked around the mid point of the column. For some reason I released the carriage whilst my fingers were holding the top plate of the column. The carriage shot up with incredible speed and force and jammed two fingers on my left hand. Somehow I was able to summon enough strength to pull the carriage down one-handed, which was no mean feat with the other hand seriously jammed. Fortunately there was no bone damage, but my fingers were swollen for a week. Those roll springs are incredibly strong! Good luck with your new L1200, they are beautiful enlargers.
    I agree, and my post was indented as such, clearly ill phrased. What I meant to say; always remove the head when at the top, if not possible secure it down with a GOOD spanner and than remove the head. This is what I do in my low ceiling darkroom when I change my condensor head for the VC head, move the head down, use a strong belt/spanner to secure the head, and than swap. The tension of the spring is indeed not to taken lightly.

Sorry for any confusion,

best,

Cor

Tin Can