Thread: Beeranol Results

Beeranol Results

Curiosity got me. I had to try beeranol developer and post my results so others might know what happened.

I followed precisely the formula from Digital Truth with Budweiser, washing soda, and Vitamin-C.

My first impressions:

1. It smells...like beer. It left my darkroom smelling like a dingy bar for a couple of day. The smell also impregnated the stop and fixer which I used.
    2. It is expensive. A bottle of beer per 8x10 surface area of film. That is about $1.25, and then add the vitamin-C...
    3. It works! It has some increased grain, and the highlights were easily blown. I didn't like the level of fog either but you can see the results below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beeranol.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	225594

Verdict: I don't think I will be using this again. If you love the smell of beer and want a pretty environmentally friendly developer, this is for you man.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Late Adopter

Re: Beeranol Results

Perhaps you need to use an IPA or a porter? At least you can enjoy the leftovers whereas Budweiser is only good for attracting slugs.

I am suspicious of the results of good tasting beer. The laboratory plant which produces Bud probably adds a special ingredient to help it develop the film.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Don't you get soft focus results...?

Late Adopter

You probably exposed it to Bud Light hence the fog.

To your point about the special ingredient, I don't know the technical term but I believe it is known in brewing circles as 'The antithesis of flavour'. They seem to use it in a lot of American lager style beers

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
    You probably exposed it to Bud Light hence the fog.

To your point about the special ingredient, I don't know the technical term but I believe it is known in brewing circles as 'The antithesis of flavour'. They seem to use it in a lot of American lager style beers
    . if you look at the flavor profile/rules that brewers get judged by .. that is exactly how american lagers are supposed to be! I think the terminology is extremely cold and very little flavor. <wink>
    personally I'm pretty amazed even at cheep "award worthy" beer, tastes exactly like it tastes today, tomorrow or 4 years ago and seeing it takes like 9 months to make and a ton can go wrong ... besides a sweet malty beverage isn't bad once in a while.

Great stuff Ironage ( I love grinning houses . ).
    I hope you do this some more

BAC1967 (on photrio ) sometimes develops with beer and gets great results.. I've never used beer or wine or pine needles or rosemary to develop my film, only coffee ( pine needles might be soon ), I'd rather drink it, even the cheap stuff. After years of being a student of caffenol ( too much to learn about caffenol to be an expert, like using a box camera, simplicity is deceiving ) I've realized that sometimes it takes film (or paper or .. ) that has been exposed &c a certain way to achieve results one is looking for, it's not as straight forward as one might think, maybe beerinol is the same? might take a little tinkering, or a different materials, brand &c to get what one wants.

have fun!
    John

Very intriguing!
    The world needs more Happy Hours in dark rooms
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Late Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    . if you look at the flavor profile/rules that brewers get judged by .. that is exactly how american lagers are supposed to be! I think the terminology is extremely cold and very little flavor. <wink>
    personally I'm pretty amazed even at cheep "award worthy" beer, tastes exactly like it tastes today, tomorrow or 4 years ago and seeing it takes like 9 months to make and a ton can go wrong ... besides a sweet malty beverage isn't bad once in a while.

Great stuff Ironage ( I love grinning houses . ).
    I hope you do this some more

BAC1967 (on photrio ) sometimes develops with beer and gets great results.. I've never used beer or wine or pine needles or rosemary to develop my film, only coffee ( pine needles might be soon ), I'd rather drink it, even the cheap stuff. After years of being a student of caffenol ( too much to learn about caffenol to be an expert, like using a box camera, simplicity is deceiving ) I've realized that sometimes it takes film (or paper or .. ) that has been exposed &c a certain way to achieve results one are looking for, it's not as straight forward as one might think, maybe beerinol is the same? might take a little tinkering, or a different materials, brand &c to get what one wants.

have fun!
    John
    Fabulous. I have so much to learn and it sure is fun. Looking forward to the next experiment and I'll check out BAC1967 (on photrio ).

I suspect this works well with The Zoned System.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
    Fabulous. I have so much to learn and it sure is fun. Looking forward to the next experiment and I'll check out BAC1967 (on photrio ).
    yea. fun is where it is at !