Thread: Best adhesive to repair Canham 4 x 10 film holder

Best adhesive to repair Canham 4 x 10 film holder

I purchased some Canham 4 x 10 film holders (cut down Lisco holders and glued in the centre) but unfortunately during shipping one of the joints cracked open. Can anyone suggest the best adhesive to repair the joint? Where the 2 halves join it is now at an angle so I am not sure if reglueing will result in a flat surface.
    The seller on being told of this immediately refunded my payment with no argument whatsoever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03BA8242-D2F5-4692-A8E8-4F73B4060628.jpg   2AD2D894-6763-45C1-A02F-88EC9C43F48D.jpg  

Re: Best adhesive to repair Canham 4 x 10 film holder

I've had really good luck with GORILLA Super Glue. Secret is to use a minimum amount of the glue and really tightly clamp it for at least 24 hours. Don't move it all while it is drying. FYI: package says "not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics". I've used it on plastic photo parts with no problems. I first tested it on a broken strip of plastic. When I went to bend the plastic strip to test it, it broke but not at the glued joint.

Jeeesh what a head scratcher! Looking at the first photo...if you could cut two pieces of plastic (or metal) to fit into that long hollow "trough" (one on each side) near the outside of the carrier (which stays outside of the film back), epoxy the cut pieces into those troughs - I think this might hold things together structurally. And while you should also apply something black into the remaining joint, I doubt if simply gluing the joint itself would be in any way adequate.

What's really important here is that you do nothing to interfere with the surfaces of the holder which make contact with the ground glass frame.

I second John Layton's suggestion...
    I'd consider epoxying a single piece of very stiff wire/steel rod in each of the "troughs"...across the crack, clamping everything in the correct position, and filling any voids with black silicone RTV, like E6000 after the epoxy dries.
    Last edited by Dugan; 12-Mar-2022 at 12:00. Reason: Clarification

I find it hard to believe that Keith Canham would have made or sold these 4x10 film holders - they're not really "Canham" film holders are they?

For plastic Lisco film holders I've made repairs using PC-7 epoxy with a little black paint in the mix for color. So far those repairs have all held up.
    I don't know what kinds of stresses that crack will be subject to, I wouldn't think it would be very much, but...? PC-7 is tough stuff.
    The $64 question is if the velvets have been compromised. If not then maybe just something to keep the slot open? Maybe a dark slide coated the a bit of a release agent(wax?).
    I'd mix up a small amount, and smash the PC-7 into crack with something in the dark slide slot to keep it open, wipe off any ooze and clamp together on both axis with a buckled strap and clothespin(?) maybe(?) whatever it takes and you have on hand. After 24 hrs dress down any excess with very fine sandpaper or very carefully with a Dremel.
    If the operation isn't a success add the film holder to your cannibal box----extra flaps and dark slides are always welcome.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Do or do not. There is no try.

Have you tried contacting Keith? If he has a fixture for doing this you might be able to send it to him for repair.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will review them and make a choice and report back on success or lack of. Thanks again.