Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Re: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Some Beseler offer 90 degree tilt for wall projection
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You've got a few options to consider -- some mentioned below. I'll add a couple more. You can use these singly or together and get what you need.

Height of the enlarger itself. This is determined by two things -- the height of the enlarger head and the height of the column(es).

B&W condenser heads are usually much taller than color heads -- so even if you don't do color, you might consider a color head.

The columns can be one or two. These come in various heights. Shop around for shorter columns. My CB7 has much taller columns than my MXII, for example.

One option, depending on the column(s) and your situation is to shorten the column(s) yourself -- but consider that as a last resort.

Lowering the baseboard is perhaps the easiest approach, but that has its drawbacks.

A wide-angle lens might be all that's needed, but that depends on if you have enough space for the column(es) and head.

In short, measure your space from where you want the baseboard to the ceiling. Then look for enlargers WITH the HEAD attached that will fit-- you might have better luck with used gear.

My ceiling is too low for my enlarger heads to go all the way up the column, so I take off the baseboard (which is at waist height) and make BIG prints on the floor. My enlargers are basically on tables with holes underneath them.
    Or, wall mount the column at a convenient height and then fabricate a table for the easel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Some Beseler offer 90 degree tilt for wall projection
    I suspect that this is not an option in this case.

I do use horizontal projection with my MXII, but my CB7 does not allow that. To solve that minor problem I attach a Spiratone SQUINTAR (a 90 degree, rotating, front-surface mirror) to the front of the enlarging lens. It was sold under various names and usually has a Series VII thread on the back. Works great, but probably also irrelevant for the OP.

A room that won't allow even a D5XL column would be too small to walk into. Are you processing on your knees or on the 7.5th floor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2617.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	225600
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 5.56.18 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	225601

How about a Crown Graphic with a Graflarger attachment?

[QUOTE=ic-racer;1636460]A room that won't allow even a D5XL column would be too small to walk into. Are you processing on your knees or on the 7.5th floor

I know, but for some reason, some people don't like to make prints on their knees. Been there. Done that.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

I know, but for some reason, some people don't like to make prints on their knees. Been there. Done that.
    But the OP is asking for a SHORTER column; processing on one's stomach??

That's why Home Depot sells hacksaws.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    How about a Crown Graphic with a Graflarger attachment?
    couldn't agree more! I suggested the same sort of thing in the "contact print" thread ..
    these days there are LED light source panels bright and even enough they can replace the old style graflarger back
    and the light source won't get hot enough to damage the lens.

Nicholas O. Lindan

From The Vision of Milty Boil by Howard Fast. Excerpt via StackExchange.

The eponymous Milty Boil is a developer who manages to get the minimum ceiling height reduced:

And Milty made friends and built influence. By 1975, at the age of thirty-five, he was considered the most influential man in New York City. His influence was such that he was able to have a number of significant changes made in the building code—among them the lowering of the minimum height of the ceilings to seven feet. With this achieved, he built the first one-hundred-story apartment house in New York. In 1980, riding the crest of the wave created by the population explosion, Milty Boil managed to have the city council pass an ordinance permitting ceilings of six feet in all apartment buildings over fifty stories high.

The story ends:

But where is there a great man who has not suffered the barbs of envy and hatred? Slander is the burden the great must carry, and Milton Boil carried it as silently and patiently as any man. On the modest headstone that graces his final resting place, an epitaph written by Milty himself is carved: “He found them tall and left them small.” To which our generation, standing erect and proud under our three-foot ceilings, can only add a grateful amen.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm