Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst CLS 1000 color head problem

Durst CLS 1000 color head problem

Dear friends,

this is my first post on this great community. In the last years I have been reading and learning many useful informations from Italy.
    I am a very happy owner of a Durst CLS 1000 color head mounted on a 138 column. I have this beautiful enlarger since few months and it used to work perfectly. Nevertheless, one day one of the fuses placed in the Durst EST 1000 N transformer got burned. I've replaced it with another one and it got burned again. Following the advice of a friend who knows a little bit of electronic, I've replaced it with a fuse with a slightly higher amperage and it started to work again. The thing is that now, when I turn on the transformer, the timer and I switch the button to focus the fan does not run right away. The light bulb gets bright as normal and the shutter opens up as well. The fan starts really slow though and takes about 3-4 minutes to properly work. After this initial issue it works fine all day long. Since I don't have any knowledge of electronic I am concerned that on the long run something could get damaged. Does someone know something about this?
    I really appreciate any suggestions or informations.
    I wish you all a nice day from Italy,
    all the best

Francesco

Re: Durst CLS 1000 color head problem

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescoDelConte View Post
    ... Following the advice of a friend who knows a little bit of electronic, I've replaced it with a fuse with a slightly higher amperage....
    Yikes!

Un Plug it

Now
    Tin Can

Robert Bowring

Please do not use it until you correct the problem. It could be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescoDelConte View Post
    The fan starts really slow though and takes about 3-4 minutes to properly work. After this initial issue it works fine all day long.
    Sounds like the fan exhibits excessive friction, likely due to the buildup of dirt and dust in it. See if you can clean it, or, perhaps more appropriately: see if you can get someone to replace it with a suitable, new fan. (Maybe not ask the friend who suggested the bigger fuse...see below).
    I suspect (perhaps someone can verify) the fan in the CLS1000 head runs directly off 230V (albeit through the fuse) and high friction in the fan itself will likely result in blown fuses.

'Upgrading' fuses to higher values is at best a stop-gap measure and at worst will allow the fan to burn out, in the absolute worst-case scenario taking your entire house with it. So like the others said: don't do this.

Thank you very much Koraks for your explanation. I will try to see the condition of the fan by myself but then I will try to find a professional to fix it. I've found online the instruction manual of the CLS 1000 head but not the repairing one. Does someone have it here?

Thanks Robert for your advice

Hello to everybody again,
    I have found someone here in Italy that could be able to solve the problem. Maybe it won't be necessary, but it might be useful to have the EST 1000 schematics.
    Does someone have it?
    thanks again,
    best
    Francesco

I searched for them when you first posted but haven't been able to find much of use.
    There's a service manual online that also covers the EST1000 (pages 10-12): http://www.hulsman.net/manuals/Durst...structions.pdf It mentions an enclosed circuit diagram, but it's not enclosed in the pdf...

I'm sure some people have these schematics on file and would be willing to email them to you. I'm not one of them, alas.

The fan should have the specifics printed on it. You can usually find NOS at auction