Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Question What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

I've been trying to work out how to enlarge 4x5 negatives in my space. The ceiling is too low for the enlargers I've researched. I have a maximum available height of 50" from the baseboard and 20" from the back of the enlarger to the front where I would stand. I wouldn't print larger than 16 x 20. Mostly 8x10 and some 11 x 14.

Do you think moving is my only solution?

Re: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Are you up for a refurb project? If so, perhaps this is for you:

I've no connection to the seller.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 12-Mar-2022 at 12:39.

Diy through intrepid enlarger head???

No, a wide angle enlarging lens is your answer. The 120mm Rodagon WA will give you a much larger print at the same head height as a normal 45 lens. Without sacrificing optical quality.

It will likely be a tight squeeze, but I think it's doable with a 135mm wide-angle enlarging lens (or shorter, like the 120mm Bob mentions). I just measured my Beseler 45MX with a 135mm Nikkor enlarging lens and the head set up for the last 16x20 print I made. The top of the color head was 46 inches from the top of the baseboard. Mind you, my color head is a 5x7 Chromega head adapted to the Beseler chassis, so maybe a bit lower than the Beseler color head would be (not sure here), but still, that's less than the 50 inches you have available. The distance from baseboard to the top of the frame on both my Beselers is 43 inches. Note I'm measuring from the top of the baseboard, so if you consider the thickness of the baseboard, you need to add two inches to that. Still doable.

Plus, you can always find a way set up your enlarger lower than countertop height. Simply cutting away the countertop to inset your enlarger a bit so the baseboard is flush with the countertop will get you that two inches back. Or, like many, you can build a lower table for your enlarger that allows it to sit significantly lower than the countertop and you can work from a seated position using a stool or chair.

Have fun figuring it out.

Doremus

I can double-check mine when I go downstairs later, but I think the LPL 4500 II / 7451 should fit your space. The later XLG version won't - both column and baseboard are larger. Specs here:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL7451.htm

EDIT: Just measured my 4500 II. Height will just fit within your 50" limit, but taking into account the baseboard as well as a slight projection to the rear by the head, it needs somewhere around 25-26 inches front to back. If you turn the enlarger sideways on the workbench, you would need 24 inches front to back. If you can't find anything else that will fit, you could have a smaller baseboard made for the 4500 II.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 12-Mar-2022 at 22:06.

I should clarify something. Right now I'm using a Beseler Printmaker 67 and it doesn't have an option (that I know of) to house a 4x5 sized negative. I'll need to get a whole new enlarger that can fit in the space at the dimensions I mentioned. I'm about to step away from the computer so I will read your replies once I return. Thanks everyone!

Consider altering the way any enlarger is mounted. For a table top enlarger, much of the enlarger height is taken up by the table it sits on. Remove the table mount, place the base board near the floor will lower the overall height of the enlarger and allow more distance between base board to enlarger head which is central to enlargement/magnification ratio.

This applies to any table top enlarger.

Wide angle enlarging lenses will reduce enlarger head to base board distance for a given magnification/enlargement trading off light fall off. The light fall off problem can be worked on and aided by apply a light source compensation opposite to the light fall off of the lens (ala LF wide angle lens center filter).

Sort of enlargers which are essentially a view camera with a light source might appear to be a compact solution until the realities of what is required to properly set up the enlarger will and can prove to be a ride each time.

Bernice

You've got a few options to consider -- some mentioned below. I'll add a couple more. You can use these singly or together and get what you need.

Height of the enlarger itself. This is determined by two things -- the height of the enlarger head and the height of the column(es).

B&W condenser heads are usually much taller than color heads -- so even if you don't do color, you might consider a color head.

The columns can be one or two. These come in various heights. Shop around for shorter columns. My CB7 has much taller columns than my MXII, for example.

One option, depending on the column(s) and your situation is to shorten the column(s) yourself -- but consider that as a last resort.

Lowering the baseboard is perhaps the easiest approach, but that has its drawbacks.

A wide-angle lens might be all that's needed, but that depends on if you have enough space for the column(es) and head.

In short, measure your space from where you want the baseboard to the ceiling. Then look for enlargers WITH the HEAD attached that will fit-- you might have better luck with used gear.

My ceiling is too low for my enlarger heads to go all the way up the column, so I take off the baseboard (which is at waist height) and make BIG prints on the floor. My enlargers are basically on tables with holes underneath them.

A horizontal enlarger, or one with a tilting head.