Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova 12 x 16 print processor reviews (and dimensions?)

Question Nova 12 x 16 print processor reviews (and dimensions?)

Hello,

I learned about heated 12 x 16 Fiber Nova print processors recently. I have a few questions:

- What are the external dimensions? I didn't see that information on the website. They don't even list all the available sizes on the Imaging Warehouse website.

- Do any of you use one regularly for both color and black and white printing? What don't you like about it?

I'm interested in picking one up because I would like to make larger prints, but I don't have the space for large trays. I'm not sure if the 12 x16 Nova would fit inside my tub. I also wonder if there are better or comparable options out there to consider.

Thanks!

Re: Nova 12 x 16 print processor reviews (and dimensions?)

I think Nova processors are being redesigned. There is no information on the new ones yet that I know of. Someone else makes a vertical slot processor, not sure of the size but if I remeber correctly it was expensive. Also, the recent Nova heated processors only run on 220V (bad news if you're in North America) if you can located a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I think Nova processors are being redesigned. There is no information on the new ones yet that I know of. Someone else makes a vertical slot processor, not sure of the size but if I remeber correctly it was expensive. Also, the recent Nova heated processors only run on 220V (bad news if you're in North America) if you can located a used one.
    Thanks! I'm in the USA. I didn't realize they don't make a US compatible version. I emailed them for information on the new 2022 version.

I bought a VGC 8X10 NOVA 120 VAC

Worked fine, but resold quickly

Low volume not my cup of tea
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

Low volume not my cup of tea
    Could you please expand on this comment for me? I don't understand what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Could you please expand on this comment for me? I don't understand what you mean.
    I'm guessing these aren't really useful for the typical low volume print user. If you are often doing lots of prints in a session it probably makes more sense. Also 220v isn't that much or a barrier for use in the US, it just means you need a new homerun from your breaker box and a 220v outlet installed.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I'm guessing these aren't really useful for the typical low volume print user. If you are often doing lots of prints in a session it probably makes more sense. Also 220v isn't that much or a barrier for use in the US, it just means you need a new homerun from your breaker box and a 220v outlet installed.
    I have to disagree. One of the advantages of the Nova (and any other vertical slot processor) is there is very little surface area of the chemicals exposed to the air, so developer will last much longer, usually at least a week. So you can make a print or two, put the covers over the slots and return in a day or two and make some more. It is actually much better for low-volume printing. It may take a little more time to set up, but well worth the while.

Yes

Uses minimal chem

For low quanity output

I work diffently

Ymmv
    Tin Can

Let's not forget the small footprint, and the option to heat the solution (my Nova version), a real bonus at my attic in winter time. Stop en Fix can stay inside, and with the right developer will stay active for weeks. love it !

If you have limited time you are up and running in minutes, make a few prints, and close the slots again.

Cor

The 220V version is 50 Hz. US has 60 Hz. Voltage can be adapted easily but the 60 Hz messes with electronics. My understanding is the original design was designed for color (and black and white) . Slot processors work great, especially in tight quarters, chemistry keeps well and can be replenished. I've used a slot for developing color prints works fine, but not my preferred method.

Jobo USA the former business located in Ann Arbor Michigan imported Nova units for years, 110V 60 Hz,

The new unit, delayed by the pandemic is a modular design that is supposed to do everything, color etc and work as an archival washer. Not for me.

For tight quarters in cool rooms Nova slot processors work great.