Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    49

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    It's not totally clear. Do you get more workable data setting the histogram before the scan or not?
    No!
    The scanner scans native 16bit only within its native space of brightness. If you narrow this space by histogramm settings, the scanner will NOT scan this narrow space with 16bit, but scans the whole (!) space with 16bit and then the software cuts out of this native raw space the preset space, so it also cuts off bit-values of the now unused black and white space. The software output of 16bit files is not native 16bit scanning, but cutoff-bitspace and upscaling the cutoff-bitspace to new 16bit-file.
    I speak from native data as workable data, or what you mean?

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    200

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by EBJohnson View Post
    I use Capture One and Affinity Photo (Scans from VueScan)...

    Affinity Photo is nearly a full PS replacement for... a tiny fraction of the cost... $50/license... I paid that 5yrs ago... That savings has made the occasional perpetual license update for C1 Pro cheaper, or at least similar to Adobe over time.
    Same here! I have completely replaced everything I used to do with Adobe with the Affinity suite and I am very satisfied with the results and I've come to prefer Affinity over Adobe, not just tolerate it. Instead of Capture One, I'm using DxO PhotoLab, and love it. I'll never go back to Adobe for anything.

    Note to anyone interested: Affinity is compatible with Photoshop plugins, so maybe a favorite PS color correction tool can be used there. I personally use Nik collection.

    Another thing folks may consider playing with for negative color correction is Hasselblad FlexColor. I feel a little silly recommending this because it's outdated and it looks like they're never going to update it, but it still runs OK in Win10 and it's freeware. I have it installed to use for processing 3F files I get from Imacon scanners. I haven't tried using it yet for processing other format scans, but I'll give it a shot with a color film negative image I "scanned" with my Nikon D800 and see if it actually works.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    200

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Anyone have any experience with C-41LAB?

    https://sites.google.com/site/c41digitallab/
    I'm trying this now. Thanks for sharing the link!

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Posts
    40

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    Same here! I have completely replaced everything I used to do with Adobe with the Affinity suite and I am very satisfied with the results and I've come to prefer Affinity over Adobe, not just tolerate it. Instead of Capture One, I'm using DxO PhotoLab, and love it. I'll never go back to Adobe for anything.

    Note to anyone interested: Affinity is compatible with Photoshop plugins, so maybe a favorite PS color correction tool can be used there. I personally use Nik collection.

    Another thing folks may consider playing with for negative color correction is Hasselblad FlexColor. I feel a little silly recommending this because it's outdated and it looks like they're never going to update it, but it still runs OK in Win10 and it's freeware. I have it installed to use for processing 3F files I get from Imacon scanners. I haven't tried using it yet for processing other format scans, but I'll give it a shot with a color film negative image I "scanned" with my Nikon D800 and see if it actually works.
    I tried DXO and I had too many issues with my TIFFs loading. C1 is pretty great and since it's my only software cost, and I usually skip every other version, I'm not TOO concerned with the cost... I've been using Affinity since it was in Beta and in the course of the the almost 10yrs I've been using it have only had minor issues. It's really a fantastic piece of software, and that goes for all three apps.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    200

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    OK, I just tried C41 Lab. It works pretty well, though I personally find the command prompt interface very painful to use.
    Comparing the results to what I got manually subtracting the film base and processing in Affinity, it looks similar though not exactly the same. I think its auto white balancing, or whatever is happening with that, explains the slight difference in hue. Hard for me to say which is "better," though if I had a large batch to do, it would likely be easier to batch process with C41 Lab (though that would likely require me having to spend time figuring out how to tell command line to do this because I'm not savvy with that at all). Someone needs to make a simple GUI for it.

  6. #56
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    1,749

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by rawitz View Post
    No!
    The scanner scans native 16bit only within its native space of brightness. If you narrow this space by histogramm settings, the scanner will NOT scan this narrow space with 16bit, but scans the whole (!) space with 16bit and then the software cuts out of this native raw space the preset space, so it also cuts off bit-values of the now unused black and white space. The software output of 16bit files is not native 16bit scanning, but cutoff-bitspace and upscaling the cutoff-bitspace to new 16bit-file.
    I speak from native data as workable data, or what you mean?
    OK So I can scan flat with no adjustments including black and white points (levels). So when I open the flat scan in Lightroom, which sliders do I use to duplicate the adjustments to the histogram that I could have done in the scanner?

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    49

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    OK So I can scan flat with no adjustments including black and white points (levels). So when I open the flat scan in Lightroom, which sliders do I use to duplicate the adjustments to the histogram that I could have done in the scanner?
    I dont use LR, but for the next steps BW-points, brightness and gamma, color correction its common to use in PS the histogramm tool (image/adjustment/levels) and then in gradation tool set the contrast curve. I do everything in the gradation tool, as there are different equivalent ways ...Final step is color saturation.

    If you scan flat with no adjustments at all, in theory you made your own rawscan output - "raw" inverted for BW and CN, not for slides. You get a very flat picture but with 48bit output you can workout a final perfect picture, just as with the steps discussued here for CNscans after inversion.
    But there is a restriction: no adjustment by you does not garantee a real raw output picture, because every software always makes "things in the background" we dont know and cannot switch off.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    318

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What about using Levels?
    Same thing as Curves but with limited flexibility.

  9. #59
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    1,749

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Same thing as Curves but with limited flexibility.
    I thought the Black and White slider might be the same as adjusting Levels similar to black and white points on the histogram adjustment in Epsonscan??? How do you do that with Curves?

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    285

    Re: Software for Converting Scanned Color Negatives

    Affinity Photo is now on sale at 50% off (don't know for how long). I tried a trial version earlier, but decided to get it when it became 50% off ($40 Canadian, less in US$). It works well for color negative conversion. It has some advantages over Photoshop Elements, in that it has curves, whereas Elements does not. For Elements you have to use the levels function to do the color corrections. One disadvantage of Affinity Photo is that it doesn't have black and white point pickers, so it's not quite as easy to do the black point correction to the film edges. It does have a very effective panorama stitching feature built in. In terms of overall functionality it is much closer to the full Photoshop than to Elements. It has both Windows and Mac versions, but you have to select one or the other. You can, however, install it on more than one of your own personal computers (so it says in the licensing agreement, but haven't confirmed myself).

    I would say that this seems to be a pretty effective tool that's about as cheap as you can get. If you're already have some familiarity with Photoshop then it's probably a great low cost option for a hobbyist. It's NOT "one click and you're done" though, so you do need to make some commitment to learn how to use it.

Similar Threads

  1. Adjusting Clarity of Scanned Glass Plate Negatives
    By VanGorder in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2018, 16:56
  2. Newton rings on scanned 8x10" negatives
    By pkr1979 in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2016, 10:40
  3. ? Developer for negatives to be scanned
    By Greg in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2016, 21:57
  4. Color Correcting Scanned Color Negatives
    By neil poulsen in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7-Jun-2007, 12:27
  5. Printer for scanned negatives
    By Martin VanMeter in forum Business
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2001, 21:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •