Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deardorff: "New" vs Old?

Re: Deardorff: "New" vs Old?

Been there

No worries either way

I have a 1929 5X7 with recent refurb

Not just shined up, the GG 'T' was recut, fresh GG and the big round aluminum base is new, new bellows

No front swing

and a HD strap

nobody wanted it on eBay a few years back

Seller however had the front supports mixed up, took a few minutes to make that right

Wonderfull

all Deardorff are desirable

Like this one
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/tincancollege/Tz6737
    Tin Can

My pre-1939 5x7 is still going strong. It s lighter in weight because it has no aluminum plate on the bottom. Original bellows still supple and no holes. The wood shows use but causes no problems. I believe the metal is stainless, not plated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My pre-1939 5x7 is still going strong. It s lighter in weight because it has no aluminum plate on the bottom. Original bellows still supple and no holes. The wood shows use but causes no problems. I believe the metal is stainless, not plated.
    I have a similar V8, pre-war, no aluminum plate, it's got all the front movements so I suspect it was upgraded?, really not sure. I think the bellows are original. It came with a big old 12" f4.5 Wollensak with a Packard shutter. It's not the Verito lens, that would have been the jackpot. It had been with a fellow for 40 years, a retired piano tuner who was moving into a condo. He was really happy that I appreciated the camera. I spent 15+ hours cleaning it, distilled water and rags. It's a little rough in places, but has the original finish. Amazing how light and strong that old growth wood is.

Most Deardorff (Chicago) hardware was nickel plated brass, earlier cameras (20s-30s) had lacquered (very early) or gold-painted brass.

After 1938 rear swing turntables (4x5 Special, 5x7, 8x10) were Stainless Steel, and ALL front swing turntables (4x5, 5x7, 8x10) are Stainless Steel.

Find Ken Houghs website on the wayback machine for lots (not all) of details.

Chicago made WAY more cameras than any later iterations of the company.

Tennessee late 80's early 90's was short-lived Japanese ownership, more recent TN is Barry Cochran.

Jack Deardorff had his DPPI company (Deardorff Photographic Products International) based in Indiana, also very low output.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

When I bought my first view camera, in 1982, I had no idea that Deardorff was still in business. I'd seen the cameras in the studios of commercial photographers that I'd worked for, but never thought that I could buy one of my own. They didn't advertise and of course the internet didn't exist... I guess you had to be a member of the club. 40 years later, it doesn't bother me that I never learned the secret handshake, but I would like to own a 5x7 'Dorff someday.

Gosh and golly this is so interesting! Such intriguing history! Have never owned a 'Dorf...but now that I've been reading this thread, I'm thinking that I'll need to add one to my bucket list!

I bought NOS 8X10 new Logo Deardorff 8X10 Slider some years ago

Makes 5X8 Portraits quickly

Very nice

price was right!

on this forum
    Tin Can