Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Apple's New Mac Studio Computer

Re: Apple's New Mac Studio Computer

We got our M1 Ultra studio. We have the 64gb of ram model. I'm super impressed with it! I was coming from a late 2015 maxed out i7 iMac, which was starting to cough, sneeze, wheeze. I opened up some 16 bit, multi GB scans from the Eversmart Supreme, man. what a difference. This thing hardly blinks at these massive files. SRDx even runs faster and more reliably.

The other big upgrade was the Asus PA329C 32" 10 bit display. It's a big upgrade from the iMac monitor.

I'm one happy camper!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'm interested to see how my processing of astrophotography images changes when I do finally upgrade. Stacking and processing thousands of images with complex denoising and other algorithms usually takes 4-6 hours on my machine. In the realm of LF photography, the only thing that makes my computer sweat is combining multiple strips from high-rez scans (stitched using Microsoft ICE). My 12x20 images at 1500 DPI amounts to 18,000 x 30,000 pixels, scanned at 16-bit and in color. Once processed down to greyscale they are manageable. I generally have no need for such crazy-high resolutions though but it's fun.
    The following link is to a MacRumors Forum post this morning from someone who makes timelapse video of the night sky consisting of 2,800 to 3,500 images: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ctive.2350883/

He says that his Mac Studio Ultra has cut his processing time to 1½ hours:

"So in a period of 3 years I went from unstable Photoshop processing that took 10 to 12 hours or more to the Mac Studio M1 Ultra that is capable of processing my images in 1½ hours time with no computer crashes whatsoever... One day the computer will be so efficient that it will only take a couple of minutes to process this many images but I am very happy with the progress thus far".

More:

"I typically use 10 to 13 second shutter speed settings depending on the moon phase and target goal for the night with 3 second intervals between each image and allow the camera to run from darkness setting in to the next morning first light. The number of night sky images can range from around 2,800 to 3,500 during one overnight session depending on the time of year and the duration of darkness at the time. So, I have lots of images that I have to transfer from a camera SSD chip to my computer and then into Photoshop so I can adjust, stack and render into video to produce a time lapse video of one night imaging session".

"The number of images that I have been processing at this middle of Summer time of year is around 2,850 so I know that Winter time processing may bump the processing time up to around 2 hours or a little longer than that due to the higher number of images during the night. Computer crashes are history for me".
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Today working with high temperatures in the attic (29 Celsius) and scanning about 60 negatives, editing, ….
    I have lost again Bluetooth and WiFi because the old MacMini 2014 is getting to hot.

But at this time the Mac Studio is to expensive for me. So it’s going to be a
    Apple M1‑chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU en 16‑core Neural Engine 16 GB centraal memory what is about half the price of the Mac Studio

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Today working with high temperatures in the attic (29 Celsius) and scanning about 60 negatives, editing, ….
    I have lost again Bluetooth and WiFi because the old MacMini 2014 is getting to hot.

But at this time the Mac Studio is to expensive for me. So it’s going to be a
    Apple M1‑chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU en 16‑core Neural Engine 16 GB centraal memory what is about half the price of the Mac Studio
    If you haven't already, check out

@bdkphoto's posts in this thread about his M1 Mac mini, and website at Bruce Katz Photo; and
    @Ari's posts, who is also using an M1 mini, and website at Ari Tapiero Photography.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic