Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO New Printer - Suggestions?

Re: ISO New Printer - Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I wouldn't own an Epson - too many people I know have complained frequently about the nozzles clogging.
    Amen! Not that I own an Epson LF printer nowadays, but I do have an R2880 that I've owned for many years. Several years ago I did have a 3880, but that died a horrible death after only about 3 years. Long story. Anyway, both of these printers require(d) me to print and run a nozzle check every 3 - 4 days to ensure clog free printing. And, even at that I do get the occasional clog. I've also run a Canon Pro-100 for many years and have never seen a head clog. Granted, this is dye-based, but I can let that printer sit for a month or two, fire it up, and make beautiful prints. I've also heard the rumors about a Canon Pro-1000 replacement and would wait on that decision, if that's the direction I intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I've also heard the rumors about a Canon Pro-1000 replacement and would wait on that decision, if that's the direction I intended.
    The Pro 1000 is already at $1300. The replacement might clock in at $1700 or more.
    From what I've read, after set-up, you'll need a new set of inks pretty quickly, and that runs about $700.
    Gas just hit record highs, it jumped by $1.15/gallon in a week. There's a potential world war 3 in the making.
    My dog eats about $15 of beef per day, and my daughter is about to become a teenager.
    We all need a break, man!

Speaking of, if max print size weren't all that important, would the Pro 300 be considered a viable alternative?
    One of the reviews mentioned it prints B&W even better than the Pro 100, which sounds kind of odd to me.

For price comparison, the P900 is currently $995 after a $200 rebate at B&H.

To be perfectly honest, I may have used the 17"-wide setting on my 4880 2 or 3 times.
    Just took a quick look through a box of prints, and 90% were on 8.5x11 paper. Some were 13x19, one was 17x48.
    So perhaps a smaller printer such as the Pro 300 or P700 would be a better fit: less expensive, smaller footprint, no superfluous features.
    More reading and comparing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I may have used the 17"-wide setting on my 4880 2 or 3 times.
    Just took a quick look through a box of prints, and 90% were on 8.5x11 paper. Some were 13x19, one was 17x48.
    So perhaps a smaller printer such as the Pro 300 or P700 would be a better fit: less expensive, smaller footprint, no superfluous features.
    More reading and comparing!
    The ink for the smaller printers usually comes in smaller cartridges that are substantially more expensive per ml. You can calculate whether the price difference on the printer is enough to compensate for that, depending on your anticipated printing volume.

There are two considerations your preferences will determine the significance of. First, how important is print life expectancy. Second, how important are surface gloss / maximum reflective density in your prints.

I own and have stored in a closet the Epson P600, purchased new. Its paper handling was always fidgety, and it demanded regular use to avoid clogging and/or the need for regular cleaning cycles. On a wide variety of premium matte papers, I found it incapable of black density sufficient to meet my aesthetic needs. On a wide variety of premium glossy papers, I found the surface far too shiny, no matter how slight the image density above paper white.

After extensive discussion and print exchanges with Dick Phillips, I bought a Canon PRO-100. It uses dye-based (not pigmented) inks, so makes prints that are not expected to last as long as those from the Epson (or Canon pigmented ink printers). On matte papers, blacks are even more anemic than those from the P600. However, with glossy papers the results appear, in my opinion, far superior. Dick and I have settled on Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta Satin. It provides just the right combination of low surface reflectivity and solid blacks. The PRO-100 has never hiccuped once. It's a solid, reliable machine that just keeps going. Although discontinued, Canon replaced it with the PRO-200. I can't vouch for the new version's ruggedness (it's around nine pounds lighter), but expect print appearance to be the same.

For exhaustive information on print/paper/ink combinations' life expectancy, see Aardenburg:

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The ink for the smaller printers usually comes in smaller cartridges that are substantially more expensive per ml. You can calculate whether the price difference on the printer is enough to compensate for that, depending on your anticipated printing volume.
    Thanks, Oren. Cost isn't the most important factor, but it's a close second or third.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    There are two considerations your preferences will determine the significance of. First, how important is print life expectancy. Second, how important are surface gloss / maximum reflective density in your prints.

I own and have stored in a closet the Epson P600, purchased new. Its paper handling was always fidgety, and it demanded regular use to avoid clogging and/or the need for regular cleaning cycles. On a wide variety of premium matte papers, I found it incapable of black density sufficient to meet my aesthetic needs. On a wide variety of premium glossy papers, I found the surface far too shiny, no matter how slight the image density above paper white.

After extensive discussion and print exchanges with Dick Phillips, I bought a Canon PRO-100. It uses dye-based (not pigmented) inks, so makes prints that are not expected to last as long as those from the Epson (or Canon pigmented ink printers). On matte papers, blacks are even more anemic than those from the P600. However, with glossy papers the results appear, in my opinion, far superior. Dick and I have settled on Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta Satin. It provides just the right combination of low surface reflectivity and solid blacks. The PRO-100 has never hiccuped once. It's a solid, reliable machine that just keeps going. Although discontinued, Canon replaced it with the PRO-200. I can't vouch for the new version's ruggedness (it's around nine pounds lighter), but expect print appearance to be the same.

For exhaustive information on print/paper/ink combinations' life expectancy, see Aardenburg:

I'd be happy for prints to last another 60-80 years, but again, not my primary concern. Thanks, Sal.

I totally agree with everything Sal said about the Pro-100! All my final prints are on the Hahnemuhle paper mentioned and IMO they are very nice. I've never run a single sheet of matte paper through it. I don't sell my prints so absolute longevity isn't that important to me. Since I rarely print bigger than about 10x13 inch nowadays--mostly smaller than letter size paper--a 13 inch carriage fits my needs. And, unlike my Epson R2880 both paper feed slots on the Pro-100 ALWAYS work, regardless of the stock I've put through it. I have no words for how finicky the manual feed slot is on the Epson when trying to print on heavier stock. Oh, I should probably mention that I print mostly B/W.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    It uses dye-based (not pigmented) inks, so makes prints that are not expected to last as long as those from the Epson (or Canon pigmented ink printers).
    Stability should be quite good for prints that are expected to be primarily kept in albums or boxes and taken out only occasionally for viewing.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...alife-100-plus

Just updating you all, and thanks again or all the comments.
    I spoke to couple guys here who work at the local high-end camera store, and both told me, separately, that the Epson won't play nice with off-brand papers.
    I use Canson Baryta, and the guys told me that paper handling would be difficult with the P900.
    I assume there's got to be some truth to that, they're selling both brands at their store, but some of it might be a tad exaggerated as well.
    Either way, I need less trouble in life, not more, so I'm going to look hard at only Canon: 300 or 1000, and try to get a decent price on a machine.
    Will update further if anything else comes up.