Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Mini Configuration to Run Adobe Products?

Mac Mini Configuration to Run Adobe Products?

If I get any kind of Apple, it will be the minimum product line needed that will run Adobe Products and Capture One. From the Studio thread, I gathered that a Mac Mini can do quite well. From my perspective, there's no point going for Studio itself, what with Apple's embedded obsolescence.

With the helpful comments in the Microsoft Windows 10 (or 11?) thread, I gather a good choice would be the Mac Mini with 512 GigaBytes SSD storage for $899, plus 16 megabyte Unified Storage. Total: $1079.

I thought about some sort of Labtop. But, I'll have my own color-managed monitor, and I really don't have the need for portable computing. I also thought about last year's Intel based model. I'm not sure if that option at extra cost really offers that much benefit.

I'm a hobbyist; I will only be working on still photos, though from a Phase One P45+ digital back. (39 megapixels.) I'll use Capture One for pre-conversion image manipulation and for the conversion itself. Thereafter, I can finish the image in Photoshop.

Am I on the right track with this configuration?

Re: Mac Mini Configuration to Run Adobe Products?

As long as your intended software will run on the Apple M1 chip and the latest OS, you should be OK. The M1 chip is much faster than the old Intel one. Get as much RAM as you can stuff in there. I think you can add it on your own. Check first and if you can, then buy the minimum from Apple and go aftermarket to max it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    As long as your intended software will run on the Apple M1 chip and the latest OS, you should be OK. The M1 chip is much faster than the old Intel one. Get as much RAM as you can stuff in there. I think you can add it on your own. Check first and if you can, then buy the minimum from Apple and go aftermarket to max it out.
    Apple's System on a Chip uses unified processor and graphics memory that can't be upgraded. The current SoC Mac minis only offer 8GB or 16GB of unified memory. Apple still sells the 2018 Intel Mac mini, in which an owner can install as much as 64GB of RAM. I own one and I installed my own RAM in it. While there are use cases for the Intel mini, I don't think that it is a good choice for most people buying a new computer in 2022.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    As long as your intended software will run on the Apple M1 chip and the latest OS, you should be OK.
    Does that mean that the M1 chip will be limited in the applications that it can run? Does it run the same instructions set as the corresponding Intel chip?

For example, is it possible to run Boot Camp using the M1 chip?

Or, are we going back to the days of the Motorola MC68000 chip, where we had Microsoft based software, and we had Apple based software? Are software companies going to have to go through huge R&D efforts in order to get their applications to run on the M1 chip?

When Apple first decided to adopt the Intel chip, it was likely a huge software development advantage to have only a single instruction set to to deal with.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 27-Mar-2022 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Does that mean that the M1 chip will be limited in the applications that it can run? Does it run the same instructions set as the corresponding Intel chip?

Fo example, is it possible to run Boot Camp using the M1 chip?
    Applications have to be optimised for M1 computers. Some are not yet. In those cases, an app called Rosetta 2 is used. Check it out.

Windows 11 will not run via Boot Camp on any Mac computer, Intel or M1, and Windows 10 will not run via Boot Camp on an M1 computer. In both cases, Windows can be run via Parallels Desktop, which is sold via an annual subscription.

16Gb of RAM on the new M1 Mini is plenty, it's quite a bit smoother and faster than 16Gb of RAM on an Intel computer.

The only software I use that is still Intel-based is the Dx0 plug-in. It works pretty seamlessly now, but when I first got my M1 Mini, it worked much better when opening with Rosetta.
    I'm far from an expert, but I think Boot Camp is still Intel-only. Hopefully someone else will confirm or tell me I'm crazy.

One thing you should consider getting along with your Mini is a hub like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Hag...s%2C204&sr=8-5
    It adds several USB ports and an SD reader to the front of the machine, and it also houses a spare HD.
    I bought a 1Tb SSD and use it as the PS/LR scratch disk.
    All in all, a very useful Mini accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm far from an expert, but I think Boot Camp is still Intel-only. Hopefully someone else will confirm or tell me I'm crazy.
    Not only is it Intel only, Microsoft has implemented a security requirement in Windows 11 that means that Boot Camp can't be used to run it even on Intel Macs. If you want to use Boot Camp to run Windows, you need both an Intel Mac and Windows 10 or earlier. It is possible to run Windows virtually on both Intel and M1 Macs via Parallels Desktop.

All these inputs are really helpful; thanks very much.

So, what is the relationship between Rosetta II and the original Rosetta that was discontinued after Snow Leopard (10.6.8)?

I'm wondering, what kind of future does the 2018 Intel Mini Mac still sold new by Apple have? How many OS upgrades will someone who purchases this MiniMac have remaining?

It may be best to purchase one of these MiniMacs with the i7 Intel processor and 16 GigaBytes of Core Memory. It comes with 512 Gigabytes of SSD memory.

Would it make sense to add the 10 Gigabit Ethernet?

I've already purchased a license of Windows 10 for another computer that I doubt I'll be using. So, I'd be set for Boot Camp. In fact, it sounds like I could add another 512 Gigabytes of SSD memory and have Microsoft and Apple in a single machine.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I'm wondering, what kind of future does the 2018 Intel Mini Mac still sold new by Apple have? How many OS upgrades will someone who purchases this MiniMac have remaining?

It may be best to purchase one of these MiniMacs with the i7 Intel processor and 16 GigaBytes of Core Memory. It comes with 512 Gigabytes of SSD memory.

Would it make sense to add the 10 Gigabit Ethernet?

I've already purchased a license of Windows 10 for another computer that I doubt I'll be using. So, I'd be set for Boot Camp. In fact, it sounds like I could add another 512 Gigabytes of SSD memory and have Microsoft and Apple in a single machine.
    Specified the way that you're talking, an Intel Mac mini costs $200-$400 more, depending on choice of processor, than an M1 mini. Up to you whether Boot Camp Windows is worth that to you. The Intel integrated graphics are adequate for ordinary Photoshop use, but owners of this computer who are editing complex video, are dong complicated Photoshop work or play games, often pair it with an external graphics card. That adds significantly to cost.

Mac minis are used in business and in server farms, not just by consumers. Apple will probably stop providing new operating system support to the 2014 Mac mini this fall, which would make it eight years.

10 Gigabit Ethernet only makes sense if you're running a high traffic local network or are one of the very few people whose local internet can take advantage of 10 Gigabit throughput. People who have that kind of internet speed know that they have it. It's very uncommon.