Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ISO New Printer - Suggestions?

Re: ISO New Printer - Suggestions?

If my 3880 had a reddish-brown tint on monochrome prints I would have thrown it out years ago. So I'm not sure your 4880 is operating correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    If my 3880 had a reddish-brown tint on monochrome prints I would have thrown it out years ago. So I'm not sure your 4880 is operating correctly.
    Possible, but it could have been me using some older inks as well.
    Or it may be that the Epson wasn't as good with B&W as it was with color.
    I'll post a color print later, the differences there are subtler, but the detail and tones are better on the Canon.

Another comparison, this time in color.
    The old Epson was printing more red, it wasn't apparent until I could compare it to something else.
    But yikes, it's really obvious here.

Besides that, the background and the colors in general show more detail and tonal range in the Canon print.

This may not be a fair comparison if the Epson wasn't running at 100%, but I can't fix that now.
    I suspect some of the inks in the printer were expired. As far as I know, nozzles and print head were working perfectly. I ran weekly test pages.

In this snapshot, I adjusted white balance in Lightroom.
    Canon on bottom, Epson on top.

Congrats on your new Canon. The comparison suggests something was off with the Epson, either clogged, or profiles. They aren't that far off.
    I had a 3800, then a 4900, lots of clogging issues. For the past few years, been using a P800, and remarkably, no clogging issues of note. Even after sitting for 4-6 months, just fires right up and works. And the blacks are very much so, on Canson Baryta, nary a problem.

Thank you.
    The P800 was under serious consideration, but none were available at reasonable shipping costs.
    I was warned away from the P900 because of the paper compatibility issues, which I was never able to confirm.

Just an update after a month of solid, but not heavy use.
    the printer is terrific, hands-down the best printer I've owned.
    I've made about 8-10 prints per week, and after the initial ink drop, ink levels have stayed where they were 3 weeks ago. Not bad, but again, not heavy use.
    Colors and tones are consistent, the inks are top-notch, and the printer software is easy to understand with lots of adjustment possible.

Getting the printer has "forced" me to buy other equipment that can be calibrated properly to good printers.
    I upgraded one of my monitors to a BenQ SW270C, which has its own built-in calibration, and I also tried out (but returned) an i1 Studio spectrometer, which I used to make paper profiles.
    After running several profiles, I much preferred Canson's profiles, so I sent back the i1 Studio in favor of a simple monitor calibration unit that works in tandem with the BenQ's software.
    Now I'm as close as I've ever been to monitor-print calibration. I don't need to make any adjustments pre-printing, it's all there on the monitor.
    The printer just chugs away, so far very consistent.

That's great to hear, Ari!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Very happy to hear. Have you had any trouble with head strikes on baryta paper? I realize this is strongly dependent on the local environment, but still curious as to whether you've run into that at all, and if so was it easy to adjust the settings to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Very happy to hear. Have you had any trouble with head strikes on baryta paper? I realize this is strongly dependent on the local environment, but still curious as to whether you've run into that at all, and if so was it easy to adjust the settings to avoid it.
    Thanks, Oren.
    I've run about 70 A4 sheets through the printer so far, and not one head strike. Zip. Nada. So nothing to adjust.
    This was a problem on my 4880, whenever I managed to jam the paper into the feed slot successfully.
    On that printer, 1 of every 2 prints had a nice dent on it.

Maybe the Canon is more successful in this regard owing to the vacuum pressure applied to each paper that goes through it, maybe it's something else. But I'm having no problems or issues at all with the Canon.
    FWIW, I use only Canson Baryta.

How about B&W prints -how have they turned out?