Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About signing prints

Olli Jaakkola

About signing prints

Hi all,

My question is about signing prints, more specificly about dating the print.

In this case, the negative was exposed in 2008 and printed as normal darkroom silver gelatin print. Now, in 2022 I scanned the negative, treated the digital file in a way that changed the mood of the photograph clearly. Then, a large format negative was made the image was printed as a carbon print. How should I sign it, which year should I write on the front of the print? What's your opinion?

Thanks,
    Olli

Re: About signing prints

Year when the image was created. Image info on the lower print image edges of the mounted print's mat board.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    ...How should I sign it, which year should I write on the front of the print?...
    In my opinion, only your name should be signed on the front of the print. All the other information should be included, either handwritten or stamped, on the rear.

The image is the artwork, last name in #6 pencil and nothing else on the front side. Info and print date on the reverse.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

My opinion is that's it's completely up to you. If I took a picture forty years ago and made a print at that time, I'd label it -- in whatever way I wanted as that year. If I made another print today -- which undoubtedly would be different (slightly or significantly) -- I'd date it this year.

Niels

My personal expectation: A date next to a signature is the date of the signature.
    If relevant to mention date of exposure I would include it together with other information, for example:
    <signature> 2022, Serengeti National Park 2008
    I don't like signatures on the front, in fact I strongly dislike them. They often distract and serve no pourpose IMO. I prefer signatures and accompanying data added with pencil or other archival methods on the back of the print.
    If it is necessary to show the viewer the authorship data, a small discrete printed label on the wall next to the print is much more user-friendly and less visually distracting than the often illegible artist signature.
    ----
    Niels

Hey...didn't Uncle Ansel often sign his prints with a gold pen - in the lower right and on the actual print surface?

multiplex

sign front. the born dates (if you think it's necessary) in soft pencil on the reverse
    and if you have a certificate of authenticity I emboss it, and put everything on there,
    the printer brand, camera, lens brands. inks used, film and developers, process
    some clients want to know what I had for lunch &c
    I usually say I had a lemajun (spicy) made at Sonja's Bakery, best around.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Hey...didn't Uncle Ansel often sign his prints with a gold pen - in the lower right and on the actual print surface?
    Nope. AA signed (rather lightly and very small too) his first and last name on the mat board on the right underneath the dry-mounted print in pencil. Other information was entered in a stamped field on the back of the print, including name, place, date of the negative and date the print was made.

I do the same, trying to give each print a unique enough name to distinguish any one particular print from others to avoid confusion (e.g., how many "seascapes" are possible?). FWIW, I just sign my first name anymore. It's unique enough (and was good enough for van Gogh, right?).

For the OP I would suggest signing the front with pencil (or archival ink if that's desired) and then entering all the other info on the back of the print mount. In the case of such a departure from the original darkroom print, I'd list date of the original negative, date of the digital negative and date of the print. Hopefully, the "new" print would have a different title/description than the first to distinguish it even further.

Best,

Doremus

If you use a stamp on the back and fill in information in pencil - will any of it show from the front or stamp ink eventually cause problems?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.