Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tripod Head Recommendations for 4x5

Re: Tripod Head Recommendations for 4x5

I am waiting for the latest FLM sticks

and a second 100mm 1/2 ball, I use it direct to camera with the QR many here are using

IF I need to shoot birds high in trees I can add the SINAR Tilt thing
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    The currently fashionable view camera priorities are the lowest weight/most compact field folder on the lowest weight tripod and all related for the perception of portability and carry over of digital and/or roll film ways. How many discussion on LFF and else where that have been about trying to make a lens work on a camera that was never designed for the target lens that wants to be used?

Yes, there is absolutely a place lowest weight/most compact field folder and all lowest weight/bulk lenses, tripod and all related except as with all things sheet film view camera it is always a trade off.

This is why following fashion is not always ideal, the better way is to establish what is needed, what tools are going to serve best given their specific trade offs and ignore current fashion. There is an aspect of folks marketing this view camera stuff to folks newly interested in this view camera stuff. They are the most vulnerable to current fashion, marketing, believing stuff found in the web and more due to lack of real world experience using any view camera.. Yet, real world experience using a view camera is often not so easy.

Bernice
    Excellent points. The larger picture is more important than the details... too often (especially with view/tech cameras) the new trend is to say portable, small and light. But when its all added up, the weight and size gets up there....and its not quite so easily ported as one might think. Been trying a small wooden view camera with a digital back, to see if it is "good enough" as the view camera is flexible, takes a wide range of small sized lenses and is quick at hand.

my current favourite, except i have the original version from 1961 with a larger top plate and longer handle.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Head_for.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1563987769_IMG_1223131.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	225423

Drew Wiley

My heaviest support is made of forged bronze, has true micrometer adjustments every key direction, and is far far more solid and more precise than any kind of camera head. Of course, it's for my lab only, and is the lower end control of my massive 8x10 additive enlarger. I got it military surplus free, though something like that would probably cost 15 or 20K to custom make today. But is it outdoor worthy? You betcha! It was designed to take the shock of giant battleship artillery guns as a precision sight mount. What does it weigh? I didn't even bother to weigh it; but perhaps 20 lbs by itself.

For the 4x5 Graphic View2 and the 5x7 Speeder I use a Tilt-all with it's built in 3 way pan head. No issues so far.
    With the 8x10 I usually leave the head at home.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    my current favourite, except i have the original version from 1961 with a larger top plate and longer handle.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Head_for.html

Name:	1563987769_IMG_1223131.jpg 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	225423
    I have an early Slik Master 67 which is likely more a prototype. It has this same head, and and probably the same handle yours does. A few years back, I modified the tripod by adapting a Bogen/Manfrotto spike tip kit, and then removed the head, fitted a Bogen head mounting plate to the shaft, and I can use all types of heads on it.
    Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by pendennis View Post
    I have an early Slik Master 67 which is likely more a prototype. It has this same head, and and probably the same handle yours does. A few years back, I modified the tripod by adapting a Bogen/Manfrotto spike tip kit, and then removed the head, fitted a Bogen head mounting plate to the shaft, and I can use all types of heads on it.
    as far as i can tell i have a slick sl-67 prototype. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65e5b24b-fe1c-4b09-b691-bdd75c2bbe67.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	225425

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    as far as i can tell i have a slick sl-67 prototype. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65e5b24b-fe1c-4b09-b691-bdd75c2bbe67.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	225425
    That's identical to mine, although mine didn't come with the adjustable feet. I got mine at a garage sale for about $20. Long since paid for itself.
    Best,
    Dennis

I have a 35-year-old Gitzo tripod with a Gitzo three-way head. The whole setup weighs around 9 pounds and holds a "ton". The Gitzo quick release broke recently so I replaced it with a Kessler Crane QR.

I use this tripod setup for both a Mamiya RB67 and my new Chamonix 4x5, neither which require a 90 degree turn for portrait mode although the head does provide it if you need it. You can get a really heavy duty old three way pretty cheap today, second hand.

Name:	20200112_174741.jpg 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	225476