Thread: Trouble releasing front element retaining ring of 178mm Kodak Ektar - images included

Trouble releasing front element retaining ring of 178mm Kodak Ektar - images included

Hi all,
    I am trying to clean up my recently acquired 178mm Kodak Ektar, and have been able to open up most parts of the barrel so far, but I am unable to release the front element retaining ring. It seems that the locking screw that holds the retaining ring in place is either damaged or has been removed on a past repair job and is now held in place by a glue or solvent.

https://imgur.com/a/dnmOAEH

It looks like there is a flathead screw head showing, but it does not grip a screwdriver at all. I have thought about using a friction wrench on it to see if I can prize the retaining ring loose by turning it, but I want to see if anyone can determine what the situation is here before I do something detrimental to my lens.

Please help me figure this out.

Many thanks.

Re: Trouble releasing front element retaining ring of 178mm Kodak Ektar - images incl

I had a similar problem with a set screw that its head was completely destroyed. Normally I could use a Dremel to cut another slot in the head, but the screw was recessed. I very carefully and very slowly drilled the screw out, retapped the hole, and used an appropriate replacement screw. Trick was to clamp the metal lens part and use a MicroMark MicroLux® 3-Speed Mini Drill Press to accurately drill the hole. Another time I tried to use a hand held drill and with the screw being made of a harder metal, the hole was drilled skewed off center.

Re: Trouble releasing front element retaining ring of 178mm Kodak Ektar - images incl

Greg's advice is good. I have had to do exactly the same thing. Also, sometimes I have succeeded with a seized recessed screw by applying tiny drops of acetone from a toothpick at intervals of about an hour during the day to soften the glue used to hold the screw. Then I've made up a hardened steel chisel just the width of the screw, driven that in to create a slot and twisted the screw out. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

Good luck

Not easy

Are you sure you need to do it?

When I had the impossible on $100K Diesel we used Metal Disintegrator Service

Is the lens yellow?

Treat with SunShine
    Tin Can

This may not help much, but I just have to tell it anyway.

A long time ago, (early 1990s) I was able to salvage ten Oscilloscope cameras from obsolete medical scanners. My cost was a few dollars each. Each one had a 75mm f/1.9 lens in a shutter mounted inside. These lenses had a huge aluminum collar attached to the front and rear lens barrels. Lenses just like this are still available on e-Bay right now., with the collars attached. I tried everything I could think of to separate these collars from the lens element mounting barrels; solvents, hest, big strap wrench . . .nothing worked.

A last0ditch approach: Took them to a gunsmith and assured him that if he tried to cut off a collar and ruined the lens that I wouldn't be mad at him. I unscrewed one front lens assembly and he chucked it up in his lathe. Cut it off without much trouble. So I had him do it to the others too.

Now we can discuss just how usable or valuable these oscilloscope lenses or their shutters are, but that is not the point. I offer the story in case something similarly brute-force and heroic might be a solution.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have taken out 2 sheared brass bolts (M1.6 JIS) by drilling very carefully in them with a 0.5mm drill in a hand holder. Takes some time but when I was through (about 3mm deep) I inderted a square reamer as is used for plastic modelling. This had enough grip to remove the screws.

I'm now going to look for such an oscilloscope lens.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I have 2

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I have taken out 2 sheared brass bolts (M1.6 JIS) by drilling very carefully in them with a 0.5mm drill in a hand holder. Takes some time but when I was through (about 3mm deep) I inderted a square reamer as is used for plastic modelling. This had enough grip to remove the screws.

I'm now going to look for such an oscilloscope lens.
    Tin Can