Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

After years and years, I'm selling all my 8x10 gear, and strangely, it feels good. Not that 8x10 isn't a worthy format; we all know the opposite to be the case. But, I'm just not an 8x10 person; I'm a 4x5 and medium format person.

So, why did I collect this gear? In part, I was inspired by Ansel Adams, and how he made such good use of the 8x1o format. Someone asked him, what's your favorite camera, or words to that effect. He responded, the heaviest one I can carry. So, all of that influenced me. And practically speaking, every once and a while, it's been nice being able to capture an 8x10 image for the detail and texture that it can offer. But, no more. I'm in my 70's, and I need to "pare down." Oh my gosh, to what low levels have I descended to actually admit to, "paring down?" Jeepers!

In a John Sexton workshop that I took, he mused similar sentiments. He's just always been a 4x5 type of person. He admitted to owning an 8x10 camera; but, he wasn't sure where it was in the house.

Life can be full of transition, and this definitely qualifies as one.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 28-Feb-2022 at 12:52.

Re: Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

Been there did this circa late 1990's. Never looked back at what was involved to make 8x10 images. Miss doing that about zero to this day.
    Circa late 1990's forward it has been 5x7_13x18cm or 2x3_6x9.

Only hankering for medium format would be a Fuji GSW690 and GS690 again added to the Linhof Technikardan 23s.

Otherwise, it is canon eos EF or R or FD for digital or 35mm film.

Bernice

Since 8x10 has been my favorite format since the early '80's, at nearly 70 I parred down my camera outfit. Back in the day, I lugged my 8x10 Deardorff, Schneider 360/6.8 Symmar-S, Schneider 480/11 APO-Artar, and Kodak 190mm Wide Field Ektar all over the place. Nowadays, it's an Intrepid 8x10 Mk2 and a few Fuji A and C style lenses. I'm glad to say that I'm still able to backpack this outfit over pretty good distances. I do get a nostalgic feeling for the 'Dorff every so often (still own it), but it's a work from the car camera for me now.

Using 8X10 X-Ray for portraits is a pleasure

I can shoot some 11X14 with Real Kodak Film and X Ray with my studio camera

But never shoot more than 4 as it is all tray process, one at a time

However when I was more active I shot and processed in ready to go trays, making things faster

My very real problem is NO sitters

I used to have many from a close by Chicago Bar

I am making a wood cart to carry my gear to my yard or porch

I stay close to home and admit no one into my sanctuary
    Tin Can

Sold my Deardorff 8x10 a couple of months ago. I had been thinking about it for quite awhile; it was a beautiful camera but I hardly used it and my storage space is getting more limited.
    I kept the Ektar Commercial lenses for for now and am thinking of using them for some 5x7 images.

For me 4x5 feels too close to medium format. Some of my best large prints are from 8x10...this keeps me motivated to using the format.

Some leave the format and some are building it up. I just bought this second 8x10 Norma Rear Standard for 200 British Pounds, from a very nice Guy in France. And another 8x10 original Norma Tapered Bellows, for another twenty British Pounds. So Keith at Custom Bellows gets some more of my money in exchange for a new Norma Bellows. Have numerous front standards and parts, so this complete camera comes from repurposed parts. Wanted a dedicated 8x10 Norma to put on a lightweight tripod like the original Leitz Tiltall or possibly some carbon fiber legs.

New to Me 8x10 18x24cm Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Have to reinstall strips of 3mm foam light trapping and She's done. 18x24cm Mammo have 500 sheets. 8x10 HRU have 500 sheets. Also many flavors of older B&W 8x10 emulsions some fresh some expired. Shanghai, ERA, Ilford, FOMA

That's the 165mm F8 Sinar Norma Compur Special Shutter Mickey Mouse Automation. A Friend says he is willing to sell me his 210mm F8 Norma Super Angulon. We will see
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I paused 8x10 due to frustration. I love shooting 4x5, but I found 8x10 far less fun. I'm not selling it yet, and may come back, but my initial foray into 5x7 makes me feel like its more my cup of tea as far as larger formats go.

I'm going in the other direction, from 4x5 to 8x10. The motivations are an admiration for contact prints and the attraction of contact printing in a NY City apartment. I'm doing this while keeping an eye on the decreasing cost of digital medium format and strides in high resolution 35mm. For me, they are the competition for 8x10, and could be where I eventually settle.

Good luck, Neal. It's always good to realize your true format calling
    Rather than Adams, I was pushed by my one-time employer toward Avedon and Penn, so 8x10 was admired, but not strictly encouraged. Having said that...

Shooting film smaller than 8x10 feels kind of...unnecessary. Medium-format digital with adapted lenses will do that to you.
    8x10 has a look - and a cachet - all its own. It's where film starts to take on a luxurious look.
    I've taken lengthy breaks from 8x10 several times. Hell, I'm nearing the end of a long break now, but I always come back to it.