Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

Re: Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post

Shooting film smaller than 8x10 feels kind of...unnecessary. Medium-format digital with adapted lenses will do that to you.
    8x10 has a look - and a cachet - all its own. It's where film starts to take on a luxurious look.
    I've taken lengthy breaks from 8x10 several times. Hell, I'm nearing the end of a long break now, but I always come back to it.
    Hi Ari,

You're probably familiar with Geoffrey James. He made a contact print for me of an 8x10 photograph that he made in Paris, where I lived and worked at one time, that is the single biggest driver for what I say in the post just above yours. When I say that I see digital medium format and high resolution digital 35mm as the main competitors to 8x10, I have no illusions that they will produce something equivalent to James's print. It would mean an adjustment in approach, of the kind that Ed Burtynsky has made.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi Ari,

You're probably familiar with Geoffrey James. He made a contact print for me of an 8x10 photograph that he made in Paris, where I lived and worked at one time, that is the single biggest driver for what I say in the post just above yours. When I say that I see digital medium format and high resolution digital 35mm as the main competitors to 8x10, I have no illusions that they will produce something equivalent to James's print. It would mean an adjustment in approach, of the kind that Ed Burtynsky has made.

My Nikon D850 seems to match what I can do with 5x7 film, and yet I don't use the Nikon very much through the year. It mostly comes out for special events such as vacations with my wife or ice racing (motorcycle racing on frozen lakes.) I've found using view cameras just more enjoyable. I have a 4x5 Chamonix, 5x7 Gundlach Korona, and 8x10 Kodak 2D. I mostly shoot film in the 4x5 and wet plate in the 8x10. I take photos mostly for fun and for me the big cameras are more fun than the Nikon. Ice racing season has just finished here and I took over 4,000 photos with the Nikon D850. I also took half a dozen with the 8x10 and also the 5x7. Using those was a slower process and gave me more time to get to know the folks and their families.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

. . . Shooting film smaller than 8x10 feels kind of...unnecessary. Medium-format digital with adapted lenses will do that to you. 8x10 has a look - and a cachet - all its own. It's where film starts to take on a luxurious look. . . .
    It's interesting; I feel the same way about 4x5. It has it's own "cachet" that quite appeals to me. And to me, 4x5 makes me think of photographing in 8x10 as unnecessary.

As a friend of mine once observed, if two parties use the same arguments to justify opposite points of view, then you know that they're operating under two different paradigms. (Two different value sets.)

I also think that the kind of "cachet" that draws you to 8x10, is what attracted me to 8x10. And, I don't know if it makes me "feel good." But, it seems like quite a relief.

Absolutely, Rory. The GFX system has resolution going for it, but it also has a depth that is lacking in DSLRs, no matter how high their pixel count is.
    I feel that while a GFX won't outdo a 4x5 transparency (and certainly not an 8x10), it's pretty close, and close enough for my liking.
    Ergo, the ditching of smaller film formats in favour of MFD, and getting on with the film format that still makes a noticeable impact.

Sorry to derail another thread.
    As you were.

Sorry to derail another thread.
    More like, adding to its interest

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    My Nikon D850 seems to match what I can do with 5x7 film, and yet I don't use the Nikon very much through the year. It mostly comes out for special events such as vacations with my wife or ice racing (motorcycle racing on frozen lakes.) I've found using view cameras just more enjoyable. I have a 4x5 Chamonix, 5x7 Gundlach Korona, and 8x10 Kodak 2D. I mostly shoot film in the 4x5 and wet plate in the 8x10. I take photos mostly for fun and for me the big cameras are more fun than the Nikon. Ice racing season has just finished here and I took over 4,000 photos with the Nikon D850. I also took half a dozen with the 8x10 and also the 5x7. Using those was a slower process and gave me more time to get to know the folks and their families.

Kent in SD
    Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    It's interesting; I feel the same way about 4x5. It has it's own "cachet" that quite appeals to me. And to me, 4x5 makes me think of photographing in 8x10 as unnecessary.

As a friend of mine once observed, if two parties use the same arguments to justify opposite points of view, then you know that they're operating under two different paradigms. (Two different value sets.)

I also think that the kind of "cachet" that draws you to 8x10, is what attracted me to 8x10. And, I don't know if it makes me "feel good." But, it seems like quite a relief.
    Vive la différence!

Small town, South Carolina, US

Two thirds of my photography is to preserve scenes for those after me. I feel the 4x5 is the most practical in that regard. I have a Kodak Century with film and holders but have never used it.

Beginning to realize that 35mm has advantages for preserving not scenes but images of people and things.

Some think I just collect

Definitely not true, I also sell or preferably trade gear

Years ago I HAD 3 Calumet 8X10 metal cameras, I WAS seeking the best condition

But I didn't like the weak front rise/fall/locks. Obviously they had issues as all three had different solutions for locking rise fall. None worked with lenses I was trying to use. Slippage

However I highly value their metal backs for use on other cameras

I have all 3 sizes, 4X5, 5X7, 8X10

They will be shown on my Macro Copy Camera AGAIN soon
    Tin Can

No matter how you try one can't make a contact print from an original digital file.

Use what you like and enjoy.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Different image making tools for different image making needs and goals. There is a proper place for 35mm film to digital to 120 roll to MF digital to any sheet film size. It is much about applying the specific image making tool to result in expressive images that turns images in mind into images that can be shared.

~Possible after experience all the above image making means, there comes a point where the are all not a lot more than a means to an end with their image making process being variations of the image making experience.

Bernice