Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else need idiot proof dark slides?

Re: Anyone else need idiot proof dark slides?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I fire the shutter several times confirming it works before removing the dark slide.
    I've never had a failure, but I fire the shutter before removing the dark slide anyway. In my view, good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Today I ruined a carefully composed Provia 100f portrait by double exposing it with an urban landscape shot. I forgot I'd exposed one of the two sides of my film holder because I was rushing to capture a scene before the light changed and someone started a conversation about my camera.

I didn't have both sides on the same color when I loaded the film, but I figured I'd recall which was which.

Pain.

Most of my mistakes happen after getting interrupted. If I don't focus, I screw up!

In my experience, color just isn't a significant enough cue for me to realize this error fast. Do any of you know of a dark slide designed to address this problem in a different way?
    NEVER - NEVER TRUST YOUR MEMORY - that is the only sure method.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I've never had a failure, but I fire the shutter before removing the dark slide anyway. In my view, good practice.
    Words of wisdom -- that I often forget.

Fire that shutter a FEW times, FIRST!!!

Number your holders somehow. I use little label stickers that fit in the indentations on the top of the holders. I number consecutively, i.e., odd numbers are one side of the holders, evens are the opposite sides, but 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B... would work just as well.

Then keep an exposure log and use the numbers (that'll give you a reference). And, store your holders in ZipLoc-type bags and make sure the side of the holder you want to expose next is facing the clear, unlabeled part of the bag. And remember to flip your darkslides. And, and, and...

All of this will help to avoid mistakes. Really, there's no substitute for paying attention

Best,

Doremus

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Most of us keep at least cursory notes on each exposure, such as lens, f/stop, development time that will be needed...

I keep mine on little post-it notes stuck to the dark slide, with the un-sticky side tucked under the top of the holder. Seeing that bright yellow note on the dark slide keeps me from ever double-exposing. The notes stay with the negatives until transcribed onto the negative sleeve. It works.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

A Grafmatic will do that job for you. For a fact you would have to work hard to double expose a frame after cycling it.

My favorite holders for helping to prevent double exposures are some 5x7 glass plate holders, most with adapters for film. One side of the dark slides in 1" lettering says "EXPOSED". Hard to miss if one is careful to insert the slide correctly following exposure.

Carry a bit of tape roll with you. RED works well - masking tape. After the sheet is exposed put a piece of it on the darkslide. Should solve the problem. If you are really worried, put it over the top section so you won't pull up on it as well as down the face of the holder.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    NEVER - NEVER TRUST YOUR MEMORY - that is the only sure method.
    Good advice, I’m going to have to remember that.

Roger

Possible the "white edge of deception" found on newer film holder dark slides can cause confusion as to exposed/not exposed.
    Some experience a degree of visual deception or confusion due to the mix of white edge and smaller black area causing the dark side to be put back into the film holder the same way it was removed.

Solution that might help is to blacken the white plastic edge with a black sharpie marker. This removes the confusing or deceiving visual cue of the mostly white plastic edge dark slide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5 film holder edges.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	225178

Side view of a blackened -vs- as delivered newer style plastic dark slide film holder.

Name:	4x5 holder edges, side view.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	225179

Older metal edge dark slides are all black painted or bright aluminum which makes a stronger visual distinction than the white edged plastic dark slides.

Name:	4x5 holder older_newer.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	225180

Name:	4x5 holders, newer_older.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	225181

Bernice